Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My TIG welds

NP on the HiJacking... Those are some nice welds

Default one knit pearl two....

Hi Paul,
    Could you describe for us noob's the rhythm you use to get such a nice looking weld. Thanks man! and great job. thats a fairly beefy looking diff. whats it out of? or going into?

Hey SignWave-

Technique is a hard thing to describe over the internet. Each person interprets things differently and has their own style or signature to welding but I'll try my best for ya.

Basically, I establish the puddle, add some filler, drag the puddle and add more filler. Repeat as necessary.

When I teach people in my shop how to weld I first cover some basics:

1. Cleanliness. You can't have the material you are welding too clean. Remove any/all contaminents in the area to be welded, brush with a SS brush if necessary, wipe down with acetone or rubbing alcohol.

2. Fitment. This is another area where a good quality weld begins. Getting the piece(s) to fit well will give you a consistent area which will give you a consistent weld.

3. Settings. Getting the machine setup properly is a big factor. Not enough gas flow, too much amperage, wrong size tungsten, etc. Using the proper equipment and using the equipment properly will help.

Remember, 90% of a good weld is in the preparation.

Also, get consistent with adding your filler. The addition of the filler rod and the rate and quantity in which you do it will help determine the look of the weld. Get consistent with the filler and you'll get consistent looking welds.

HTH

- Paul
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

Hey Paul,
    Im all over those things like stink on a monkey! Cleanliness, Fitment and setup are very important. Kinda bugs me... you spend all your time fussing and fitting and then the weld part lasts less than a minute or so... UHG! seems to be the way though. Kinda like making dinner. An hour to cook and ten minutes to eat!