Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle Truss ?

Default Axle Truss ?

Hey guys, I'm a newb to the site and gettin back into welding after a really long break,(like high school)!
    I am working on a 94 Jeep, D44 & D30, chromemoly axles in both, ARB in the 44.
    I would like to truss both axles as a project
    If I remember right, I can't weld mild steel to the cast iron pumkin-head ?
    I've got a MM252, can it be MIG welded , can it even be stick welded ?
    Or whats the best possible may to truss these things ?
    I would really appreciate all comments.
    Thanks guys Jon

I have seen several different truss designs for axles. one that I remember they used a piece of flat bar across the pumpkin and contoured it and then coped a piece of tubing to fit the shape. then on the other end it was coped to the tube and it was only welded on the two ends not in the center.

Another design was was merely reinforcements, fitted to the pumpkin and tapered to the axle tube. Not knowing that axle I would used the top method.

If you have a torch you can heat and beat the piece into a shape close to the contour of the pumpkin, then heat it and clamp it into position and hit it with a dead blow hammer to fit the final shape. Once it is shaped and welded to the ends it should not move. Also if your posative it has to be welded then NI99 rod can be used on Cast Iron. Its a nickle rod and it burns really soft so it takes a delicate touch.

Best of luck,
    Paul

Ive heard the common add on trusses (the bars under the center out to the spring mounts) typically pull the axles out of alignment. Apparently the guys that put them on get them too tight and pull the axle tubes in a downward arch.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Lightbulb Thanks guys

Paul & Flyingpig, in that order.
    Paul, thats a good idea, I appreciate it.
    I think I could run the truss the length of the tube and right at the pumpkin, go up and over, and maybe even web it in 2 places, and gusset the webs.??

Flyinpig, I'm running the truss up on top of the diff, I don't want to loose ground clearence, but I do appreciate the thought about stressing the axles, don't want to do that, they were pretty spendy.
    Thank you both..

Jon

I know I've seen them welded, the axle tubes are typically plug welded to the center sections. I believe the center sections (diff) are cast steel, and not cast iron and as such probably are very weldable. If you're going to TIG it I'd probably try "missile rod" which is great at mixed metals.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 04-02-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Lightbulb I think your right..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    I know I've seen them welded, the axle tubes are typically plug welded to the center sections. I believe the center sections (diff) are cast steel, and not cast iron and as such probably are very weldable. If you're going to TIG it I'd probably try "missile rod" which is great at mixed metals.
    Nocheepgas, I think your right, sorry!
    I know their cast, I just assumed they were cast iron.
    So, if it's cast steel, could it be Mig welded ?
    I don't have a Tig, yet.
    Thanks Jon

The center section is NOT cast steel! It is cast iron.

so.....can they be welded?
    \\fshill\users$\d\Derek.Allen\Documents

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpl View Post
    so.....can they be welded?

Yes.

I warm the center section up a bit with the O/A torch, weld with nickle rod, then wrap it up in a welding blanket until it cools. Never any problems.

Small non-critical stuff, I have migged without any problems, but I wouldn't chance a truss.

Quote Originally Posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
    Yes.

I warm the center section up a bit with the O/A torch, weld with nickle rod, then wrap it up in a welding blanket until it cools. Never any problems.

Small non-critical stuff, I have migged without any problems, but I wouldn't chance a truss.
    TS, I think I'll bag it and try and work around the pumpkin, challenge my brain ya know
    Thanks all
    Jon