Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat bar roll.

Default Flat bar roll.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a flat bar roller or plans for one? It has to be a powered unit capable of handling up to 1 1/2 X 1/4 flat. I don't have the space and really cannot justify buying one of the big commercial units for no more than I will be needing it. I am in the process of designing my own, but it would be much simpler and less time consuming to go with a proven design.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

i have a manual one that seems like a purity simple design, pro tools has another design that looks like it might convert to power a little essayer though.
    roller
    don't know if this is the type roller you are looking for or not, but hope it helps a little. i also atached a few pic's of the one i have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

J.R.
    I saw one that was similar to the pro-tools one that this guy made himself on the other island I was visiting. He used to to make nice curves out of square tubing for his extravagent gates. Was a cinch for flat bar! He used a jack screw for the middle and 3 solid cylindrical rollers. The 2 side ones were adjustable to go in and out and of course, the middle one with the jack screw to go up and down. wish I had a pic to show you!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Oh yeah, I use one at my friend's shop that looks like James from Shop Outfitters for $769 I think James has the one from e-baby (typo, but I think it's cute and i'll keep it). Watch out, they are 1/2 the price but made in China and I don' think they are as strong. I rolled the dimensions you want and works easy!!! Only prob is the big footprint of the wheel.
    http://www.shopoutfitters.com/RingRoller2.html
    I'm not late...

Cool

I made a baby size one for rolling model train track but the design is the same as the bigger ones just make the parts larger. Do you have a lathe? ...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I've seen the one from Harbor Freight and left it in the store. I'd kill it within a week. Actually the description about the one with the jack screws jogged my memory, and the pic of the one on the lathe helped me remember the rest. I don't have a lathe, maybe down the road.

I can't use the manual one due to a bad shoulder, elbow and wrist. I don't think I would hold up to all the rolling I am going to have to do to get the pattern worked out. If the designs take off I will be getting one of the big production models that does bars, angles, and tubes.

Thanks for the help guys. I used to use one that was homebuilt (not by me) but couldn't remember the setup. With the pics and descriptions now I can see what I want to do.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

have you got a plan for a motor ? HF has a power over head winch on sail all the time for about $80. it should have the reduction gearing all ready to go. i picked one up a wile back for lifting stuff onto my table, but i bet it would make a good power source for your project.
    be shore to show us pic's of it when its getting built.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Jolly Roger,
    A powered unit will be $$$. I have both of the Shop Outfitters ring rollers. The big one will do 1 1/2 x 1/4 easily without a lot of effort. If you are only going to use it occasionally you might want to reconsider it. If you happen to be in my area sometime I'd be glad you show it to you and you could give it a try.
    Jim

Cool

The first time i used mine i got blisters so i adapted my 60:1 motor/gearbox from my slip roll/scroller unit. I couldn't see spending another 800 bucks for the motor/gearbox parts so now i can use the same drive on 3 machines...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Wow Bob, nice job!!! If I ever get a shop, I'll ask you for the plans
    I'm not late...