Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a beer can is??

Default a beer can is??

some friends and i were discussing what alloy a beer/pop can would be. if any know would you please let me know. a steak dinner is riding on this one.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

3104-H19 Aluminum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_can

Can I get some dinner too?

thanks man, i get the steak dinner. yep come on over i get you hooked up with a steak too...
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I actually never thought about that before. Could be cause all I was thinking about was the beer inside.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Talking

Could be cause all I was thinking about was the beer inside.
    yep me too , but if you fallow his link you will find a lot more out about cans than you would think. verry neat link thanks.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by phila.renewal View Post
    3104-H19 Aluminum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_can

Can I get some dinner too?
    I've got a ?, if this has magnesium in it, if I smelt them down after I crush the cr@p out of them in the press I am building, will this separate out where I can skim it off? I will be pouring it into sand molds eventually, but will start out just making ingots, but I would think I would like to have as pure Al as possible? Anyone have any thoughts?

Default smelting

id be really careful if you plan on smelting aluminum,keep it outdoors and make sure you dont get any water anywhere near it(moisture of anykind for that matter) can you say explosion?also the fumes are extremely toxic.Just make sure you do your homework thoroughly(id hate to hear you hurt yourself.I built an aluminum smelter last year for a company that you could drive a dump truck into(if your wondering why im givin you this speel lol anyways good luck and take care
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
    id be really careful if you plan on smelting aluminum,keep it outdoors and make sure you dont get any water anywhere near it(moisture of anykind for that matter) can you say explosion?also the fumes are extremely toxic.Just make sure you do your homework thoroughly(id hate to hear you hurt yourself.I built an aluminum smelter last year for a company that you could drive a dump truck into(if your wondering why im givin you this speel lol anyways good luck and take care

This is excellent advice. I met a fellow once who was the owner of an aluminum smelting company in the South. He was living temporarily in Los Angeles near an eye clinic while they replaced his corneas and tried to restore some of his sight.

He was doing a pour one morning and had failed to check whether there was any water or condensation inside of the mold. The way he told it, there was some water in there and it exploded and blew molten aluminum all around the room. Even though he was wearing some sort of face protection, he still got splatters of it on his face and some in his eyes which basically rendered him legally blind.

Be careful, Please!

the guys that work in the smelting company where i built their 3rd smelter told me lots of horror stories,they put an engine block into a smelter that had ice in it(was winter) and it blew out of the furnace and took out walls, i beams (could have easily killed someone and they said it sounded like dynamite going off right beside them

Holy hanna, I had no idea... I will def be doing it all outside, with proper protection, and I plan on reading up on it a Lot before I actually start making things. I planned on sand casting, though I thought the sand was slightly damp when casting. Is there an issue with this, or is the caution about standing water, in liquid form, not in the sand? Like I said, much reading to do before I start this.