Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think the plasma route would give you the cleanest cut.
    Have you priced having channel bent for you, or plasma cut by a local fab shop?

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    I think the plasma route would give you the cleanest cut.
    Have you priced having channel bent for you, or plasma cut by a local fab shop?
    Nope, havn't considered that route yet, but I was thinking about contacting the local community college to see if they would be interested in doing the cutting for me if I supply the materials.....

Thanks again folks!

Default Mm 140?

Even a 225A Buzz-Box would be better than a 140 MIG. What's the material thickness? 6" goes from 3/16" -1/2" and 8" is 3/16" - 5/8" thick. 3/16" is "pushing" the limits of the 140, even with .035 flux-cored wire.

Something like a log splitter, with the stress imposed, should use .045 dual-shield, or 5/32" 7018's. (Sundown could spray-arc it for you)

Just hate to see you spend all that time, money and effort, to have it split itself, instead of logs.

Not trying to discourage you, by any means, just offering some realistic advice.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Even a 225A Buzz-Box would be better than a 140 MIG. What's the material thickness? 6" goes from 3/16" -1/2" and 8" is 3/16" - 5/8" thick. 3/16" is "pushing" the limits of the 140, even with .035 flux-cored wire.

Something like a log splitter, with the stress imposed, should use .045 dual-shield, or 5/32" 7018's. (Sundown could spray-arc it for you)

Just hate to see you spend all that time, money and effort, to have it split itself, instead of logs.

Not trying to discourage you, by any means, just offering some realistic advice.

Dave

Totally agree with you Dave. I'd rather be proud of the project than ending up grinding welds out, and cursing the whole time.

Time to locate a buzz, and relearn my stick skills! :-)

As for the thickness, both the 8" and 6" are supposed to be 1/4"....

Default My design idea

How 'bout a gas demo saw - they cut pretty straight & clean?

Where'd my picture go?? Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsNB View Post
    Totally agree with you Dave. I'd rather be proud of the project than ending up grinding welds out, and cursing the whole time.

Time to locate a buzz, and relearn my stick skills! :-)

As for the thickness, both the 8" and 6" are supposed to be 1/4"....

I think you are on the right track now. I have split wood for many years and without seeing your design, I simply can't imagine a 140 handling the job when you consider all the torgue and pressures involved.

If you find an AC only buzz box 6011 or AC rated 7018 would be a far better choice. I welded many a farm equipment with an old buzz box.

Having said that, small wire welders for sure have their place and I bet you'll find many uses for it. Check around, many used buzz boxes setting in the corner of garages collecting dust. You will probably have more applications for it anyway, especially if you have to weld outside on windy days or rusty metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think you are on the right track now. I have split wood for many years and without seeing your design, I simply can't imagine a 140 handling the job when you consider all the torgue and pressures involved.

If you find an AC only buzz box 6011 or AC rated 7018 would be a far better choice. I welded many a farm equipment with an old buzz box.

Having said that, small wire welders for sure have their place and I bet you'll find many uses for it. Check around, many used buzz boxes setting in the corner of garages collecting dust. You will probably have more applications for it anyway, especially if you have to weld outside on windy days or rusty metal.
    I agree Geezer. I started out welding as a teenager on my dad's farm with a buzz box, and I must admit, I was the resident weldor at that time on the farm.... Did some decent work (that is, it held together) at the time too.

I bought the 140 MIG for bodywork and some basic stuff around home, but a buzz would be a nice complement to the shop. Wish I could afford a decent sized inverter.... I'd love to learn TIG!!

I had to do something similar on some 1.25" square a while back...It was about 6" long at a time.

If you make up a quick holding fixture some flat bar clamped on one end to a table...that'll hold the tube while you use a grinder to cut off the one side.

Then just change from the grinder to a sanding pad, and go nuts. Smooth it all out. I don't know what thickness material you have to use, but with .095 it wasn't too painful, or slow to accomplish.

Hope that helps the task of cutting stuff at least.

Plasma cut it .

I'm awful curious as to the design of the splitter... can we get a pic of it? If it was me, I'd probably either cut it with My evolution saw or a 4.5" grinder with Walter Zip-Cut wheels. I can follow a line pretty well w/ my grinder, but I've had a LOT of practice!
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600