Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cutting Square Tube

Hi folks,

I've been wandering around the forums for quite a while. Lots of good information.

Here's the situation:

I'm planing on building a log splitter over the next while, as the $$ permit. I purchased a Miller 140 (yes, I know, definitely underated for this project), and also have various tools including cut off saw and angle grinder.

I figure that my next investment is going to by an O/A kit, as cutting and pre-heating is going to be necessary....

Anyhow, now to the question:

My design is going to need me to rip square tube (6" and 8") along its length. Given the tools that I have, I'm thinking that spending lots of time and wheels with the angle grinder. However, I would like to have as straight of a cut as possible.

Any comments and/or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsNB View Post
    Anyhow, now to the question:

My design is going to need me to rip square tube (6" and 8") along its length. Given the tools that I have, I'm thinking that spending lots of time and wheels with the angle grinder. However, I would like to have as straight of a cut as possible.

Any comments and/or ideas?
    Come up with a new design?

Buy channel instead?

If those are not options, you can get abrasive wheels for a skil-saw.
    With that, you could maybe rig up some kind of a cutting guide
    to run the saw parallel to one face of the tube. Or perhaps
    make a stand or fixture that holds the saw in place and you feed
    the tube, against a fence, into the saw - sort of like a table saw
    for wood.

Frank

For cutting I would suggest a metal cutting blade in a sabre saw. Clamp a straight edge to the tube and go to town. Cut slow so you don't burn up the blade and use oil for lube.

I wouldn't recommend an abrasive blade in a circular saw unless it has a metal blade guard. The sparks can melt and destroy a plastic one. The dust is also very abrasive and is hard on bearings.

A possible work around for your underpowered (for this project) welder. What I used to do was do all the cutting, fitting, grinding, rust removal, and whatever other cleaning and joint prep needed done and tack it all together then take it to the weld shop, ready to be welded. Since all they had to do was lay the beads, it didn't take long, so it didn't cost much.

Sometimes if I was there first thing, before they got started on something else. It only cost me a dozen donuts that I always brought.
    Last edited by tenfingers; 03-26-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Johnsons,

If you posted up your location, there may be a member willing to cut it for you with a plasma.

If you're close to eastern VA, I'd be happy to split it for you with the Hypertherm PM 1250. Would take longer to set up a straightedge than it would to make the cut.

The 8" Milwaukee metal cut saw would also do a nice job on that piece.

A 140A mig is not the welder for building a log splitter, no matter how much preheat you use. Seems like a lot of trouble to go thru only to have the welds fail due to insufficient penetration. Log splitters (at least all those that I've used) create extreme pressures.

or buy slotted tubing.....

http://www.thomasnet.com/catalognavi...ecialty-tubing

They probably have a drop they would sell you!

Well! I relpied to this but the moderator has to approve it. It might be because of the link I attached....

anyway, do a seard for slotted square tubing. Call the mill and see if they can sell you some drops!

It would be easier to find a different plan, would it not???

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    It would be easier to find a different plan, would it not???
    I betcha Jeb would know what to do here.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Thanks for the ideas folks....

I'm sort-of sold on the design for the splitter - it's a two-way unit.

I do like the idea of doing all of the fitup, and then taking it to a shop to be welded. I enjoy doing the fab work anyhow - granted I was looking forward to the welding too.

Maybe I'll luck in and locate a stick welder that would suit the project.

Thanks again!

I have split 1.5" x 3" x 3/16" rectangular tubing with a Skilsaw and an abrasive blade. I built a fence and made about 3 light cuts on each side. Don't cut all the way through before cutting the opposite side. You can then take a saber saw to the thin section remaining. I only cut 4 foot long pieces, but it worked for me.
    Ray