Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Miller to buy ?

I'm looking to buy my first Miller Mig welder for my home shop. I will be using it for Automotive restoration and fabrication. I will be doing stuff like sheet metal repair, frame modifications and repairs, and so on. I have just had a new sub-panel put in my shop and I have 120 and 240 power.

Which model should I go with ?. I was thinking of the MM212 or DVI2. Could I get by smaller or do I need to go larger. I just want to buy what I need right off the bat. Thanks guys

forum new guy,

Ed

If it were me Ed, I would buy the MM212 or a left over MM210 if you can find one. However to answer your question, the Millermatic 180 will do the job as you described.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Thanks Rich,

I've just got into welding and I got to say it's been more of a challenge than I expected. I have been doing some practacing using a friends rig and I got to say I kind of enjoy this. I've always been just a motor guy when it comes to cars. Now it's time to learn something new.

Thanks again,
    Ed

definitely go with the MM210 or MM212. it will have plenty of power for any of the larger stuff you might run into and is fantastic on the thiner stuff like sheet metal.
    i had the pleaser of using on on some 22gage floor pans and it was great. buy a big spool of .030 wire and some C-25 gas and you will be set for about anything the car/truck can send at you. add a spool gun if you run into aluminum needs.
    its the next welder on my to get list, i only got to play with a Friends but man was it nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    definitely go with the MM210 or MM212. it will have plenty of power for any of the larger stuff you might run into and is fantastic on the thiner stuff like sheet metal.
    i had the pleaser of using on on some 22gage floor pans and it was great. buy a big spool of .030 wire and some C-25 gas and you will be set for about anything the car/truck can send at you. add a spool gun if you run into aluminum needs.
    its the next welder on my to get list, i only got to play with a Friends but man was it nice.
    Great info. Thanks so much. I have a feeling I'm going to love this place !.

Ed

When it comes to welding machines never buy what will just barely get the job done. The reason being as soon as you do you will find something bigger you need it for. I just bought a suitcase for my engine drive for stuff I don't like using the small one for. I actually use an old Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 for all of the decorative iron I do in my shop. Very economical and easy to move around. I don't like it for the .045 Core-Cast 8600 (used for joining steel to cast iron) because I have to turn it all the way up. It has never shut down on me, but it is still loading the little feller pretty heavy.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Default 252

Quote Originally Posted by ed_v View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first Miller Mig welder for my home shop. I will be using it for Automotive restoration and fabrication. I will be doing stuff like sheet metal repair, frame modifications and repairs, and so on. I have just had a new sub-panel put in my shop and I have 120 and 240 power.

Which model should I go with ?. I was thinking of the MM212 or DVI2. Could I get by smaller or do I need to go larger. I just want to buy what I need right off the bat. Thanks guys

forum new guy,

Ed
    Take a look at the 252.

Lightbulb

if $$ is an issue hobart is coming out with or just did a HH210 thats getting good things said about it, you might look into it as an option. the IM210 had some dislike-rs but they say the HH210 welds like the HH187 and its getting great reviews. its also a smaller unit so easy-er to pull around the shop. i would skip the DVI unless you need the 120V option if you have 240V available the MM212 is a better option the DVI you are paying for the 120V option getting basically a MM135 & a MM180 in one big box. for a shop i would go with the MM212 before the DVI no question. no point in paying for a specialty unit unless you need one. wile the MM180 may cover every thing on a car you could end up with duty cycle issues as well as possible problems with some truck heavy accessory. if you have the $$ you really cant go wrong with the MM210/212 in many years on the hobart, ask andy(miller motor sports), welding web, and miller welding projects boards i have yet to hear of anyone complaining about there MM210, its just a great small shop sized MIG thats been keeping every one happy for a very long time. you just cant go wrong with it.

thats a good looking 61
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I was afraid someone was going to recommend the MM140! Would have been great on the sheet stuff but not the frame modifications!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I'll have to throw my vote for a MM210 or the newer version of it. I have had a 210 for four or five years now and have been very pleased with it. There have been a time or two I wished I had gotten the 251, but very rarely. For what the $ difference was and the few times I would have needed it, the 210 works just fine. I've used it for the light gauge work up to some of the heavier channels and such. Just my $.02

SSS
    Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
    Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12