Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default spoolmate 100

I do not think changing the style of tip is going to solve the problem he is having just makes it cheaper to replace tips. I think it may be the end user that needs to adjust to the situation. diverdown
    2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Use about 3/4" of wire stick out. I too have burned a few tips using my spoolmate 100 on my Miller Passport plus, especially if you don't have much stick out. The wire speed has to be high, you need to move fast, pushing the gun along, I run around 20cf of argon. Also give the gun a rest after a few minuets of use, it over heats before you will ever hit the duty cycle of the welder power source.

Well as of right now I am not going to have any time until maybe Saturday to do any welding. I did get a container of nozzle dip and will try that along with turning up the wire speed. If I still have issues after a few hours of practice I will do the contact tip modification. I will also post a few pictures and see what everyone thinks. Once again for all the replys!!!

Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Cool

Here are some pics of the mod. I am glad i did it and never would go back to a normal small tip...Bob

1st pic. Remove barrel from gun then remove small screw and push out copper tube.
    2nd pic. Face off 1/16 or so from the end of the tube.
    3rd pic. Drill 7/32 or #3 if you have it. Drill about 9/16" deep. Chamfer the inside a little.
    4th pic Tap with a 1/4-28 tap and use a tailstock center for a guide.
    5th pic Done
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48