Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default spoolmate 100 question

I recently purchased a mm211 with auto-set and the spoolmate 100 gun. I have never welded aluminum with a spoolgun before only tig. I am wondering why I keep getting the wire melting back to the contact tip? I am using .030" 4043 wire and also .035" 5356 wire with 100% argon gas with the same result. I also get a lot of weld spatter with the 5356 wire. I am setting the welder up according to the settings inside the cover with little success. Any help is very much appreciated. Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Sounds to me like you need more wire speed or down with the heat.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Cool

Actually its a poor design on the tip. The nose needs to be bigger to help with the heat. I swapped mine over to a normal Miller Mig gun tip and never had another one stick. I can even run .035 alum wire thru a .030 tip with zero problems. If anyone wants it done i will do it, all i need is your copper tube from you spoolgun...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default spoolmate 100

I use the spoolmate 100 on my 180 autoset. I always use the next larger tip for alum wire . if Iam using 030 wire I use a 035 tip, also use the dip antispatter and use it every second time I quite welding. also push the gun rather that pull. also when I start to weld I have about 1 inch of wire out past the nozzle. hope this helps. love my set up. Diverdown
    2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Thanks for the quick replys!!! metal master.... What did you do to the copper tube to use the regular mig tips? I am interested in your approch to this situation. I am also going to go get a jar of nozzle dip and try this too. I know that this is going to take some practice but anything I can do to make thing come out better always helps if you know what I mean.
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Cool

I just took the tube from the spoolgun barrel, chucked it up in my lathe, trimmed off about 1/16" drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 and its done. I fought with mine for a few months until i did the switch plus the tips are cheaper. Email me if you want yours done...Bob aametalmaster@yahoo.com
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48