Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tig Aluminum/prep

Hi guys, lot of you mention about using a scotchbrite pad to your aluminum.
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but I'm guessing that's the same round one that goes on the rubber backing pad, onto your grinder or drill? I see red, green and brown ones. Which is best?
    thanks,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I have also read this, I believe this is what they are talking about? http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc..._scouring.html

I also have a d200dx and have very recently tried welding Al so I have been trying to research settings to try.

i have found a quick hit with some SS wire brush works fine. i only use acetone if its greasy or oily. and have had great results. i use a 3.5" ss wire cup brush for a grinder but use it by hand, the grinder can take too much off and melt the aluminum. just a quick brush and its ready to go.
    i also use bee's wax when cutting or using a flap disk as it helps prevent clogging of the teeth when cutting or the wheel when using a flap disk. its best part is it burns right off when you go to TIG so its not a problem there aether like oil's can be.. i have used a scotch bright pad on my filler just before use, but not every time, not shore if its needed so play that one by ear.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

tig321,
    welcome to the board!!! Thanks for your reply! Lot of good info here, lot of help from everyone Me?...I've only tig welded at school, that was 21/2years ago. Got my 200DX so I can start again! Lot of stuff I learned was for transformer-based machines. Apparently inverter-based machines use different tungstens and sharpen differently. That's why I'm picking everyone's brain
    bert
    I'm not late...

Any will work Bert which one to use and whether to use power will depend on how dirty your part is.

I would start with hand rubbing as adding power turns them to fine grinding discs.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

thanks guys! James, I see read on books and some other places, that using a stainless steel brush will embed into the alum, letting contaminates that you don't want in. That's why I'm leery about that...(not like my tig is THAT da*n good!!!
    I'm not late...

plain steel will do that but SS has not been a problem. i have herd the same thing about scotch bright pads also, seems like every thing is supposed to mess up aluminum. all i can say is i have never had a problem with SS wire on my aluminum TIG, i suppose mileage may very or they could be referring to using it with a power grinder?? i have been told never use the stuff you will use on aluminum on anything else especially steel so i keep all my aluminum stuff separate from my other stuff. so far no problems with the SS wire wheel.

tig321
    welcome. the Dyn200Dx is a great TIG to learn on, should make aluminum a breeze.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

Bert, The different colors are different grits. We had about 10 colors of them at work...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default grits

Bob, if it has a nice layer of oxidation on it, which one would you use?
    I'm not late...

Cool

Any of them would work for removing oxidation on alum. We used the different grits to polish SS to a shine...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48