Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BWS29128
    (At this point SundownIII is ROFLHBO about my foray into TIG'ing with CO^2 and wondering where my "blue flame" was coming from...).

ok i missed that one, how did it come out ?? are we all waisting $$ using argon for TIG ?? what did you try it on, steel, SS, aluminum, or all of the above ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

No...someone once told me that I could TIG on carbon steel using the same CO2 blends I used for MIG'ing on carbon steel. So I tried it with predictable results. When I posted my results in the form of advice to someone on a different message board, SundownIII ripped me a new one for being "utterly stupid".

As I've said before, SundownIII doesn't have much patience for Bovine Scatology on message boards, and the longer I'm in this welding gig as a private business, the more and more I become like him.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Cool

i was thinking i should try the WD40 for about the same reason, just because it seemed like it wont work doesn't mean it wont. trying a Little on a practice piece could have turned out to be a great help for later work. i was not planing to take his word for it and mess up some thing important, but did not see the harm in trying it. after all bee's wax sounded like a bad idea but has worked out great. i use it for lots of stuff in the shop now.
    i think a lot of people develop a low tolerance for stupidity, but you cant think of every thing you don't agree with as stupidity in action. try to keep an open mind and stay a little understanding, otherwise you end up looking like a grumpy old azz.
    its Tiff to own your own business and stupid things that effect the pockets can really start to get to ya fast. been there done that. lots of luck to ya with your's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Talking

SundownIII ripped me a new one for being "utterly stupid".

Ha Ha Ha. Sometimes you do stupid things when you try new stuff. Think Thomas Edison or Henry Ford did some dumb things??? My guess is they were called complete idiots at times
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Ha Ha Ha. Sometimes you do stupid things when you try new stuff. Think Thomas Edison or Henry Ford did some dumb things??? My guess is they were called complete idiots at times
    good point.
    some people just need to lighten up.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

You're both right; I should lighten up. Stress is gonna send me to an early grave----quickly!!

And James, you're right about trying stuff that seems utterly stupid, but I'd also suggest that we all try stuff FIRST and THEN submit it as "advice" to a newbie. Even when a newbie ain't a newbie we all oughta have our ducks in a row before we go directin' the flock. Agreed?

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

sounded like he uses wd40 all the time one aluminum. so i figured he had tried it.
    i know i use bees wax all the time, so i don't have any regrets about recommending it.
    i would not recommend trying some thing new on a paying job, try it out on scrap first. advice over the internet should always be taken with a grain of salt. i think you should always think about the advice and decide for your self if its worth a try and do so at your own risk.i do my best to give only good advice be it 2nd hand advice i have read here or 1st had that i have tried. but not every one is like that. it would be nice if every thing you read here was all perfect advice, but hey its an open forum so you get what ya get. so try to do the best you can with it.
    i general try to ad weather my advice is first hand or 2nd hand but not always. if i say i tried it and got good results, then i did. although i don't know for shore you will get the same results. so its best to try for your self.
    i think the new-bee's need to know that and act accordingly.
    is the WD-40 on aluminum as a cleaner a dad idea ?? i don't see it as a dangerous one unless you have puddles of it all over the welding table.although i regularly wipe down my welding table with a WD-40 type spry to keep the rust off it.its works quite well for that. but i don't leave puddles when i weld. giving dangerous advice is always a bad idea. like using acet. for a shielding gas. extremely dangerous and a bad idea. using Co2 as a shielding gas on the other had would result in a bad weld but i don't see any danger in it.

in short, yes you should watch what you post as advice, but just as important, you should watch what advice you take. although its getting to be a strange concept for many, you should take responsibility for your own actions. regardless of the source if inspiration.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES