Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stainless rod bends

Help me (if you are willing!)! I need to build a gimballed stove for a racing sailboat. Most of the boats use quarter inch or so stainless steel rod to basically build a rack to hold a camping stove. I need to make about 12 consistant bends in this quarter inch rod and weld it up. Who makes the best bender for this type of material? If I had more time, I would build the bender. The budget allows for tool purchase, and time constraints further that allowance! Thanks in advance!

~Ian

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 130 XP
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

crabber

For those simple bends, an $89 bender from Northern Tool will do the job and do it well.

Multitude of better, quality benders out there if you wish to spend more. JD comes to mind. Pro-Tools makes a good bender.

Default Use a torch

If your going to be making some small radius 90 degree bends, round and flat stock. I'd use a oxy acetylene. Heat to red orange make your bend let air cool. The blackness will polish out with a flap disc or what ever. I've had great success with this method. I hope it's a diesel stove, propane's no good for boat heat up in that cold ass country. I like it much better down here were we barbecue on deck in the winter. I supose your gettin ready for the king season, hope ya have a good one.

Ditto on Sundowns post. Even Harbor Freight has one I believe. I would bend them cold using heat as a last resort esp if there was little or no welding.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Cool

I too use the el cheapo HF bender 100's of thousands of bends over the last 8 years...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Thanks!

I will go with the Northern Tool bender. Seems perfect for the small, lightweight job at hand.

~Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!: