Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stainless rod bends

Help me (if you are willing!)! I need to build a gimballed stove for a racing sailboat. Most of the boats use quarter inch or so stainless steel rod to basically build a rack to hold a camping stove. I need to make about 12 consistant bends in this quarter inch rod and weld it up. Who makes the best bender for this type of material? If I had more time, I would build the bender. The budget allows for tool purchase, and time constraints further that allowance! Thanks in advance!

~Ian

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 130 XP
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

crabber

For those simple bends, an $89 bender from Northern Tool will do the job and do it well.

Multitude of better, quality benders out there if you wish to spend more. JD comes to mind. Pro-Tools makes a good bender.

Default Use a torch

If your going to be making some small radius 90 degree bends, round and flat stock. I'd use a oxy acetylene. Heat to red orange make your bend let air cool. The blackness will polish out with a flap disc or what ever. I've had great success with this method. I hope it's a diesel stove, propane's no good for boat heat up in that cold ass country. I like it much better down here were we barbecue on deck in the winter. I supose your gettin ready for the king season, hope ya have a good one.

Ditto on Sundowns post. Even Harbor Freight has one I believe. I would bend them cold using heat as a last resort esp if there was little or no welding.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Cool

I too use the el cheapo HF bender 100's of thousands of bends over the last 8 years...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Thanks!

I will go with the Northern Tool bender. Seems perfect for the small, lightweight job at hand.

~Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!: