Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brake is finished / still working on CAD

Here's the last set of pics of my sheet brake.

I finished this project with a smile. So far it has preformed as planned. My goal was to bend sheet metal up to 1/8" for drawers and tool boxes. I would also like to use it to bend brackets up to 1/4" until I can build a press brake.

I do have a set of handles for the heavy stuff but there not needed for sheet metal such as in the lower right corner of the second set of pics. In time I would like to fab some sort of a spring mechanism that would have the clamp down plate preloaded in the up position. For now I am just using a washer and a nut on the clamping bolt on each side. Effective but not pretty.

I do plan on finishing my 3D CAD for this. If anyone would like more pics or the part of the cad that is finished just pm me and I can send or post.

Thanks for looking, If anyone happens to see an area for improvement please say so.

Tom

Kinda hard to see from the small pics,but it looks good from what i can see.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

looks like it turned out to work quite well. good job

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

looks good

Nice job!
    I will be looking for a set of drawings when their done!

Sorry for the pic issues, I was trying something new and it didnt work as well as I thought it would.

Groove, I will post as soon as I manage to fumble my way thru the 3D stuff, my skills are poor in that area tho so it may take a few weeks. Fair weather tends to draw me outdoors. Good weather makes for a good reason to cut, bend, and weld.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Sorry for the pic issues, I was trying something new and it didnt work as well as I thought it would.

Groove, I will post as soon as I manage to fumble my way thru the 3D stuff, my skills are poor in that area tho so it may take a few weeks. Fair weather tends to draw me outdoors. Good weather makes for a good reason to cut, bend, and weld.

Thanks for taking the time to look.
    I have been following this all along, good job. Anxious to see your CAD diagrams

Thanks for the pleasant words everyone. I know that I am far from prefect, although with all the nice good words I feel as if I am learning and getting better slowly. Practice and little steps is what it takes I hear.

Please dont expect to much on the drawings guys, thats a new can of worms that I have just started to open.

Thanks again, it really feels good to hear nice thoughts from others about projects.

Default UPDATE (cad pics)

Alright here is three 3-D cad pics that I exported into a 2-D jpeg. Please keep in mind that I am no expert by any means. I want to learn it to the point that if I want to crank out a quick drawing and have it to scale, and ready to build from, I can.

If someone wants the sketch-up file I will gladly send it to ya. I am still trying to learn how to make my drawing open in a link that will let it be manipulated right in that screen, with out using sketch-up.

I am positive that my drawings dont hold a candle to most, but its a start.

If anyone is going to use the numbers for a build PLEASE PLEASE double check the math. This is where I started for my build, and I most likely deviated from the plan slightly, forgetting to update the cad. ?? That is normal isnt it ??

Tom

That's what I don't like about most of the free CAD programs. They seem harder to figure out, although I learned on AutoCAD. Also, the only bad thing about AutoCAD is that it's about a $1200 program

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson