Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swim Platforms

Default Swim Platforms

I've decided to go back a bit and share some of the things I've been up to in my little bitty shop.
    About a year or so ago a good friend of mine decided to go into the boat making biz. I had been going on forever to him about making all sorts of stuff because he was also a customer of mine from my mobile repair biz.
    To make a long story short he told me where a boat was that he wanted to be similar too and I checked it out. Also went on the internet for a few ideas.
    This is also why I bought my JD2 bender and I can't really remember what else but I can tell you it has caused an avalanch of ideas and purchases.

So I set a big ole flat plate of aluminum on some sawhorses and got it fairly level and started bending and tacking.

Cutting all those oval tubing pieces was a PITA as only three of them were the same. It all had to be hand fitted anyhow.

I wish I had taken a few more pics than I did now but you get the basic idea on how I did it.

I made me a little fixture thingy to get the angle for the transom so the world would come out level when I was finished.

I'll have more pics up when I get time to show how this all went down.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

This would have been a fine time to have KB or Engloid on the payroll!!
    Even tho I had the big Airco at the time I was having so much fun playing with my first Dynasty 200Dx I just used it. That eliminated using the "bump" method I love so much. No tricks here just feeding rod very carefully. There are six different start/stop/welds on each end of each tube.

Keeping all those tubes running parallel with all that heating and cooling required quite a few ideas out of my bag of tricks. At this point making a jig would have been a joke because I didn't even know if we were gonna make any more than one.

I made the downtubes out of the same 1 1/2" sch. 40. Most of the ones I have seen lately use a smaller tube and they look wimpy to me now. Also my larger radius die made it look more flowing to me.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Nice work sir.

Six different starts and stops on each oval tube! Looks like I'll move that skill up on the list, since mine are only so so. Are they free for the full span or did you add a cross brace or two? It looks like there are 3, maybe. But they're not symetrical? I'm sure that using the new Dynasty instead of the old Airco, was a hoot.

Do you put shower tape on the slatts? That alum would be pretty hot when the boat's on the trailer.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Very nice, I really like the look of the oval aluminum. And alot nicer for the feet.

Thumbs up

Nice work and design. Where did you find the oval tube at?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Thanks FatFab!
    Craig the ladder mounts on the port side serves as a brace and I just sorta split the difference on the other side. You don't really notice it anyway.
    As for finish I really left that more to the people it was for...if they wanted the non-skid tape then it would need to be applied afterward.
    Nocheepgas...I got the tubing from Eastern metals.

I really sweated getting this thing square and flat but actually it was a lot better than the ones I was comparing to. On a boat all that matters is that it looks good and functions like it's supposed to.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Somewhere along the line my friend took in a job on a bank repoed boat that had been stripped and it had the same basic design swim platform originally... so this one got sold and installed on that boat instead. I had nothing to do with color choice. It matched the rest of the boat. Finding the right people to powder coat your work can be a difficult and costly choice.
    I don't remember what he charged but it was very reasonable. Very thick too.
    I had to cut and move a couple of brackets on site before we sent it off because the actual transom wasn't flat it was somewhat curved outward.

I wanted to get some pics of the platform installed on the boat but it got away from me before I could...oh well...sorry.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Craig the ladder mounts on the port side serves as a brace and I just sorta split the difference on the other side. You don't really notice it anyway.
    Oh, ladder mounts. I was wondering about the long span flexing.
    As for finish I really left that more to the people it was for...if they wanted the non-skid tape then it would need to be applied afterward.
    Got it.

I really sweated getting this thing square and flat but actually it was a lot better than the ones I was comparing to. On a boat all that matters is that it looks good and functions like it's supposed to.

That's so pretty, I let it post again.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Exclamation

OMG!!! You painted it while I was posting. Being an alum kinda guy, alum matches anything, doesn't rust or chip, and when I'm done welding, it's ready to mount. Besides, I want my buddies to know it's alum. And I don't want to mislead anyone, I make brackets, widgets and gizmos; nothing as cool as FK's swim platform.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.