Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default BBQ Pit - Material

Hello,

I am new to both the site and to welding.

I have a small part time bead blasting company in MA, North of Bean Town, and purchased a MIG a while ago and want to try it out on a project.

I was thinking about building a BBQ/Fire Pit.

My questions are:
    Can I use black iron pipe to frame it up ?
    Will the pipe weld OK ?
    Can the pipe be bent into a circle OK ?

I was thinking of using the pipe to form three circular frames and tie them together using 3/8 rods at 15 to 30 degree increments.
    Add some kind of heavy duty screening and you have a Fire Pit, alt use BBQ Pit.

What's your thoughts ?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks,

Black pipe hasn't held up to support a load in a fire in my use.

I used it to support my charcoal maker and have 2 nice curved pipes now.

here you can see how there were to begin with.

edit: here is a link to more info on the charcoal maker http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=charcoal

www.castandque.com

The Pipe will weld fine
    Yes it can be rolled- but you need a roller

I think it will work as a Frame too but back to rolling the circles- need a roller

I believe Chuck's pipe warped 'cause he basically built hisself a Forge- bend/warp just about any metal with the same gauge as Black pipe.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I believe Chuck's pipe warped 'cause he basically built hisself a Forge- bend/warp just about any metal with the same gauge as Black pipe.
    Probably so, The 2" oil field pipe I used is holding up, so I will be making some supports out of more of it.