Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemolene

Quote Originally Posted by jwsrep View Post
    Actually Jon, If your torch outfit is a Victor you may already have a grade T hose. Victor Equipment has been shipping grade T hose in their cutting outfits for the past few years. If you look on the hose it should read "acetylene only" or " all fuel gases". If you can't read it play it safe and replace te hose with a grade T hose. Then just changed out your tip to a propylene tip and you are set.
    Important thing to remember: you can use an acetylene regulator for propylene, but you can NOT use a propylene/propane regulator for acetylene. The reason for this is because propylene/propane regulators have the ability to be used at a higher pressure than 15 PSI. It is ILLEGAL to use acetylene at anything higher than 15 PSI.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, my Victor uses a RM hose. But my Nortel bench burner has a T hose.

Default Chem-O-lene

Chem-O-lene is the only fuel gas on the market that has a similar flame temperature to Acetylene.

Those who tell you it is a propylene are wrong.

Propylene will get to 5300 degrees max, Chem-O-lene will burn at 5800 degrees.

Propylene is a residual product from refining crude oil, Chem-O-lene is a Hydrocarbon blend like acetylene but is carried by propane as opposed to acetone in acetylene.

It is a cleaner, safer gas and performs well in comparison to acetylene. It costs about half of whatr acetylene will cost.

I don't know when i have seen such a complete array of incorrect info.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chem-O-lene View Post

Well how about some more good cheer like where to get it, how much does it cost vrs acetylene maybe we would like to know...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Well how about some more good cheer like where to get it, how much does it cost vrs acetylene maybe we would like to know...Bob
    Be interesting to see if he responds
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Chem-O-lene is the only fuel gas on the market that has a similar flame temperature to Acetylene.

Propylene will get to 5300 degrees max, Chem-O-lene will burn at 5800 degrees.

Propylene is a residual product from refining crude oil, Chem-O-lene is a Hydrocarbon blend like acetylene but is carried by propane as opposed to acetone in acetylene.

It is a cleaner, safer gas and performs well in comparison to acetylene. It costs about half of whatr acetylene will cost.

OK Chem-o-lene is not propylene. Other than that what was incorect in the posts about propylene? How does you brand name gas outpeform propylene and where can you get it? This is not a jab it is real question and I would like to know more as I am planning to do a lot more gas work in the future.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Quote Originally Posted by jwsrep View Post
    Actually Jon, If your torch outfit is a Victor you may already have a grade T hose. Victor Equipment has been shipping grade T hose in their cutting outfits for the past few years. If you look on the hose it should read "acetylene only" or " all fuel gases". If you can't read it play it safe and replace te hose with a grade T hose. Then just changed out your tip to a propylene tip and you are set.
    Important thing to remember: you can use an acetylene regulator for propylene, but you can NOT use a propylene/propane regulator for acetylene. The reason for this is because propylene/propane regulators have the ability to be used at a higher pressure than 15 PSI. It is ILLEGAL to use acetylene at anything higher than 15 PSI.
    It's not illegal, it's just very stupid

Trademark name for propylene... http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=117198

Trademark for Chemweld (Atlanta Georgia) propane product, with propylene: http://www.msdsonline.com/binder/sco...000/000182.pdf

Apparently, it is, or contains, propylene.

Chem-O-Lene: Care to give a polite, relevant, explanation rather than a caustic, nasty, and apparently wrong diatribe, in response to a thread that is over a year old?

Also, Acetylene is not a hydrocarbon blend. It is C2H2, ethyne, a pure hydrocarbon. As provided for chemical industry use and welding service, the purity is quite high, with fairly tight controls on impurities even with the lowest grades.

Quote Originally Posted by enlpck View Post
    Chem-O-Lene: Care to give a polite, relevant, explanation rather than a caustic, nasty, and apparently wrong diatribe, in response to a thread that is over a year old?
    YEAH!!!!!!!! what HE said!!!!!!!! Interesting someone can be so rude (I'm being VERY polite!!!!!!!!!!!), not seem to back themselves up, so we can all learn, eh?
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I'll throw in my $0.02 since somebody else dug this up.... I have actually used Chem-o-lene. Bought a 10? lb can 15 years ago still have half of it... The pro's 1 No soot, 2 It will burn through multiple layers without blowing back.

The con's 1 You need to buy all new tips, I know some of you probably have one crusty old cutting tip, but my box of tips weighs about 40 lbs. 2 It will burn through multiple layers (good luck cutting a bearing off a shaft) 3 The cuts are not as precise as O/A. 4 The cutting tips are more expensive and much more tender (basically a propane tip).

Other thoughts... The tanks are a propane tank and have the same recert rules, They don't fit in your cart either. The supplier I had bought the gas from was pushing it fairly hard back then, now they don't handle it anymore.

Ben

NO SOOT!!!!!!!!!!! Heck with that

If it wasn't for the "soot trick" I may have stopped using O/A all-together.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX