Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default some how to help please

recently, i bought miller's combo jacket, the one that is half leather and half cloth. i love the jacket, but i have been to every dry cleaner in middle arkansas and they have all said"we'll have to send that off" and the average price is around 40 bucks. if anyone sweats as bad as me you'll know why i ask. is there anyone that knows why i cant wash it in the machine at home? pig skin is supposed to be way better towards water (look at footballs) than cow hide. i don't want to afford 40 bucks every couple of days wear it once send it off know what i mean? any help would be great
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool

I don't know about the leather half but everytime i washed my cloth jacket it caught fire the next time i wore it. We don't wash them where i work at, throw them out and get a new one because we can't replace the fire proofing in the material. Thats prob why the dry cleaner charges so much...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

well, the dry cleaners said they had to charge so much b/c they had to send it off to some place in missouri because of the leather content. i thought dry cleaning was for leather, but one said that not many have the ability to do leather in house??? i am wondering if it will hurt the pig skin though to wash it normally. the sleeves and top half are leather and i use the "bib" as well so i am not worried about catching fire...i will say that it is so much cooler than standard chrome tanned leathers
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

I only use the full leather sleeves, without the cape. It's way too hot. My dad gave me my first set and they were tillman. Lasted 20 years before dry rot got them. The replacements are tillman too ( I was lucky to get those), but both sets were drowned repeatedly with no problems. I try not to wear them unless I just have to. My Harley cyclechamp jacket was 20 years old when I got too big for it. It had spent numerous times taking a week to dry out and it never hurt it.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

I have a full leather jacket and I just wash it every once in awhile and hang to dry
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default cleaning

i have a few full leathers and a couple of partials but have had no problem taking them to the laundry mat(my old lady would hang me if i put them in our home machine)and them hang dry them.try wearing something under your jacket to absorb the sweat and bring a few changes or spares so you dont ruin your gear.

I've washed my new leather jacket at least 9 times, and STILL the color comes off!!!
    Thank the good Lord for washerettes!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

thanks for the help all, i washed it normally and let it hang dry. so far all seems well.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com