Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ROTFL!! It was a VAX type, and a beastly machine for it's time. Now I have a cheap laptop that puts it in the dirt. For that matter the Amiga 500 I had kinda did the same to it. It was something else for crunching data though.

Actually the MIG is excellent for hitches and such, provided it's a big enough MIG. The little portables really aren't designed for it. I used to use one in a heat exchanger shop that would run 1/8 flux core with a 1 1/2 inch wide bead on a single pass. I don't know how many amps it was putting out but it would burn your eyes in a matter of seconds, and have your clothes smoking in no time if you were within 3 feet of the puddle. We actually had a hood hanging on the wall that melted because the welder held his head too close.

All of the factory hitches like drawtite are mig welded. Wire is cheaper, faster, and has a lot less cleanup than sticks.

I am still making my mind up about flux core on small machines.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Default re jet rod

7024 is a ac rod and flat and horizontal position only,your maxstar is a dc inverter,i own one ,mine does lift tig also, great little machine, on 220 it can burn 1/8 rod all day long(it has a 100%duty cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
    7024 is a ac rod and flat and horizontal position only,your maxstar is a dc inverter,i own one ,mine does lift tig also, great little machine, on 220 it can burn 1/8 rod all day long(it has a 100%duty cycle.
    AC is the prefered polarity, but 7024 can be run on DC+ or -. The main reason AC is prefered is because on DC it is suseptiple to arc blow. I used to run a ton of this stuff back in the early 80's. Not enough O's in smooth how this stuff runs. But like man of steel said flat position and slightly downhand only(no more than 15 degrees).
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Hey fun4now, what was your MOS? I was 98C20F8 Electronic Warfare/SIGINT Analyst
    Arcair gouger

76C & cross trained as 63T
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Ok, and what were those? I also did 96B (3rd ACR never figured out exactly what I was, lol), but couldn't get the mos awarded because it required attending the school.

I always run 7024 on DCEP (never had an ac machine big enough to run it). I've usually been able to control the arc blow with changes in rod angle.
    Arcair gouger

76C is parts requisitions motor pool and vehicle records and analysis or PLL & TAMS
    63T front line mechanic. i got to play with every thing from jeeps, trucks, 88's, M113's, bradly, M60'd, M1a1'S you name it i got to play with it. cool part was i was licensed to drive just about every thing the army had.
    i even got to shoot the M1 a few times just for giggles. thats a neat toy with a big bang.
    i was stationed over seas so they just used me for what they wanted, cross training me as needed and didn't seam to worry to much about the paper work. they didn't like the idea of sending us back stateside for schooling just so it could get put on your record. they didn't seam to mind extending your Tore over there though. i think my DD214 shows i went over seas thats about it, and then came home. gotta love it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES