Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i think this are some of the nicest looking bumpers. (i'm going to copy for my truck ). post picturs of your bumper when you get done.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

sorry i forgot to put link. http://www.roadarmor.com/site/index.php
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

I made one for my Jeep out of .250 wt rectangular tubing with 3/8" mounts and top plate:
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

nice ride nocheepgas
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Ok, well that does it. I will definately go with lighter metal. I think I am over thinking the strength of it.

VIN MAN those are pretty good looking. Mine will not stick out the front that far. It is going to be somewhat low-profile. This is because a lot of the trails I go on here are VERY tight, and just a few inches sticking out can make a difference. My main goals with this one are for a rock solid tow point and to have maximum approach angle.

I plan to take pictures as I build it. I have a mock-up that I made out of heavy cardboard for choosing the shape and angles. I should be able to get the steel next week after payday, and then I'll be making smoke and sparks!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Default building a bumper

I'm about to build a bumper for my 2500hd GMC using 3/8" plate for the winch box and frame mounts. I am using a piece of 3" sch. 80 pipe as the base of the bumper with 3/16" diamond plate as a skin for the bumper with 1/4" gussets from the pipe to the plate. Like this one from tough country but with a winch box and winch.
    http://www.toughcountry.com/photos/a...1/P1030980.JPG

I have a bumper made out of six inch c channel on the front of my toyota. It wraps around the side to meld into the line of the wheel wells. Quarter inch brackets bolt to the frame and a skid plate which angles down and back bolts up to the front of the frame. It has proven to be tough and reliable. I have hit pine trees up to eight inches thick and plowed through the mud and dirt with no problems. It's not the most cosmetically appealing bumper but it works. I took some flak for painting it yellow. My idea was that it was an attention getter to stay out of the way by other drivers on the highway. LOL!!
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Any time I build bumpers for anyone I mainly use 3/16 for the skins and 3/8 for the mounts and tow points. Most of my bumpers weigh around 120 to 15lbs...

Default Built this last summer for my work truck,it turns heads

I have myself a truck I'm thinking about making a bumper for...but no one really makes a model specific one.

It doesnt help that its a 1970 C20. Those road armor ones look pretty sick, but Im not sure how something like that would look on my c20.

I was planning on using some 1/4" for the main body, and doubling up for the winch/tow hook mounts.

Also planning on making a rear for it, same material, with an identical winch mount, just in case...

Some good ideas here though, definitely stuff to think about. Thanks guys!