Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas VS Diesel

I've used the gas and diesel Lincolns and Millers in the large machines. As in ya needed a one ton truck just to haul them around. I couldn't tell a difference in the way they welded by brand from gas to diesel. We used the diesels in construction primarily because practically everything on site ran on diesel. Saved on idiots putting the wrong fuel in. That could be illustrated by the bobcat they filled with diesel. I thought it was hilarious, but the welder that used it was some unhappy.

After using first a Hobart Champ I think it was (some years ago), a Ranger 250, Eagle 10,000, and Trailblazer DC I see no reason to ever buy another of those huge and terribly expensive monsters. I buy new, depreciate until the warranty runs out (3 years), buy a new one and sell the old one or keep it for a spare in case one breaks or I need another. I drive a 3/4 ton diesel and for most purposes it is overkill, but the price was better than right, and it's a great truck.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and like Jolly Roger said, it's probably overkill but after getting used to deisels years ago, I can never go back to a gas job other than my muscle car (65 Olds 88, 560 horses,) I always ran Ford diesel company trucks but when I became a contractor, I fell into an 03 2500 Dodge and I will say this... after driving that Dodge, I'll never fix another Ford. That 03 Cummins pulling 1500lbs of welding crap will just eat my 04 6 litre hands down.
    welder_one I have heard the term "seating a generator " but that is where my knowledge ends on that subject. I should have added that my TB and the company TB's I ran all seemed to weld better after an 11 hour day of 3/16 rod burning. It seemed like a guy just needed to stretch them out and warm em up a little and after that they ran perfect and welded even better. I don't know... is that seating a generator?

Sounds like it to me, but I'm not sure. Mine ran better after running some big flux core around 320a. Got her good and stretched out that day.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Default gas vs diesel

gas is easier to start in the cold cheaper to fix but fuel eats you diesel on the other hand is easier on fuel but the hammer comes down when its time for repairs but as far as trucks id say diesel for hauling cause all the torque is made in low rpms so it doesnt feel what its pulling where as gas just dissapears and is hard on your vehicle ciao, ps if your machine is coughing on a 1/8 rod id be selling it back to the dealer i got it from i burn 5/32 and 3/16 some days all day and my rig just keeps on goinand luvin it all the while

That is the strange part. The TB's only coughed on 1/8 for the first 50 to 80 hours; after that there were no problems at all. I rarely touch a 5/32 but my TB will just pour on a 3/16 for as many hrs a day as I can keep going. That is why the arc choke on 1/8 (with a new machine) is so confusing. Luckily it goes away after a few hrs. After today I have 66 hrs on and the arc (which cleaned up around 50 hrs) just keeps getting better. In spite of a short term arc quality quibble that goes away, I figure that the arc quality is as good (or better) than the big diesels. My original question was just to find out from the rest of you guys who else might have noticed that little quirk about the TB and to get a second take on the subject.

DDA52. I knew it had to be old..... You use yours for what a diesel is worth. Lots of guys buy them to pull their travel travel trailer 4-5 times a yr and thats what I was referring to as a waste of money. A gas engine would do fine for that

Welder_1, Actually that gossip about the CAT came from the Ford regional fleet rep. Ford has used allison in their med duty trucks for years Except Ford doesn't make a med duty truck right now. [Sterling]. Med duty and pickups are two different things. They are supposed to enter the med duty market again though. Matter of fact most all med duty trucks/ busses with automatic use the allison trans. The engine Ford uses now [6.0 and 6.4] are built by International and has been ever since the original 6.9 [I think it was the 6.9] I think the relationship between Ford and IH has suffered the last few yrs. Also GM sold the Allison divison just this year.

Sorry for getting off topic, just thinking about the gas/diesel thing
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]