Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default white dusting on aluminum tig welds

I seem to get a slight cover of white dust on my fillet welds when tig welding at high amperatures, does any one know the reasons/effects of this. I have tried all the obvious fixes(gas lens, changing work angles, more, less gas, ect.) to no avail. It's the same dusting that occurs normally on the outskirts of a normal weld, it just covers the weld it self. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Clavacle View Post
    I seem to get a slight cover of white dust on my fillet welds when tig welding at high amperatures, does any one know the reasons/effects of this. I have tried all the obvious fixes(gas lens, changing work angles, more, less gas, ect.) to no avail. It's the same dusting that occurs normally on the outskirts of a normal weld, it just covers the weld it self. Any help is appreciated.

Base Material?

Filler?

Machine?

Joint type?
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Base Material-6061 aluminum tube 2 x 2 x 3/16
    Filler-5356 1/16th or 1/8th aluminum rod
    Machine-Syncrowave 250
    Joint type-fillet weld

What do you have the balance control set at?

Any particular reason you are using 5356 and not 4043...like anodizing the part(s)?

What are you using for shielding gas?

- Paul
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

I was using the 5356 wire because that is what the company was using befor I got there. After reading your post I was talking with my boss and we deceided to get a bunch of 4043 for me to mess around with. I am using 100% argon for shielding gas.
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

It sounds to me like you might be overheating the aluminum or the balance control is biased to the penetration side. What # is your balance control set to?

Can you get any pics of the weld(s) for us to look at?

- Paul
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

Default Pre-Anodized or Heat-Treated 6061?

Is the 6061 already anodized? Does in come with any type of protective coating that you might not be getting completely stripped prior to welding it? Is your base material 6061-T6? If it's already been heat treated that may have something to do with it. Let's see what SundownIII has to say about it...he deals with more of the 6061 than I do.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Clavacle,

As mentioned a photo would help us help you.

How easily is the "dust" removed? Does it wipe clean with acetone/rag or does it have to be brushed with SS brush?

Amp setting, balance setting, tungsten size/type, cup size would all help. Also, how much stickout are you using with your electrode. I generally use one or two cup sizes smaller for doing a lot of filet welds

Without the above info, I would guess that the "dust" is coming from the oxides being burned off. Since it is a filet weld, it doesn't dissipate the same as it would with a butt or lap joint.

I'm assuming the base material is not anodized.

Here are some pics for you guys. My AC balance is set at 8. I am welding with a 1/8 tungsten, with 3/16 stick out. i am using a gas lens with a #6 cup. The base material is 6061-T6 and is not annodized. The whiteness does not come off with a rag of acetone, but a scrub or two from a SS wire brush make it look like it was never there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Welders do it hotter!!
    www.Munsonworks.com

I've had that but its usually beside the bead not on it. Did you try a different bottle of gas. Sounds dumb but some just works better than others. Curious to see what you find
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]