Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Straightshot,

You will need to spend about $35 for the Centerfire Nozzle, difuser, and contact tips (pack of ten) to convert the M-25 gun to centerfire Bernard frontend. You may do better depending on where you get the goodies.
    I ordered mine from Cyberweld. (haven't got mine yet) http://store.cyberweld.com/becemigcoq3.html

Here is link to the parts needed.

http://www.bernardwelds.com/products...ion_chart.html

Enjoy,

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Straightshot,

The only thing I would add to Tim's list is the insulator. You'll need one of those too. It's about $6.

Now that you're becoming proficient at welding tips, you'll be happy to learn that another good thing about the centerfire tips is that they don't screw in like the standard Miller tips. They are held in position by screwing down the nozzle. When you weld the wire to the tip (happens to all of us at times), you simply unscrew the nozzle, advance the wire slightly, snip it off and then you can generally pull it out the back of the tip. Easy.

I generally have my LWS order the Bernard parts, but I have ordered from Cyberweld, and they're good people to deal with.

Sundowner,

Good catch, I just noticed that I forgot to add that part in the adaptor kit. I called all my LWS's and they carried the contacts but not the rest of the parts. Do you have any comment on the way the MM252 runs with .030 wire? It seems to run smoother/less spatter with .035 and seems to do fine at low voltage with the bigger wire as well. (again, I am not that experienced at mig welding other then smooth drag single pass structual) I am hoping to start building some roll cages and exocages, bumpers and other off road projects to "justify" my craving for more shop tools and to make Craig nervous!

Tim
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Tim,

To be honest, I've never run .030 wire in my MM251. For the smaller jobs that require .030 or .023 I just use the HH187.

I use the Bernard Q-300 gun with a 15' lead. I suspect I may have a little trouble pushing .030 wire that far thru a .035-.045 liner. I use the 33# spools of .035 and .045 in the MM251. Both feed well with my setup.

With the standard M25 gun with a 12' lead, I don't think you'd have a problem pushing .030 wire thru that setup. .023 may be a different story. I actually bought an M10 gun (10' lead) for using .023/.030 in the 251, but I've never used it. Just too easy to fire up the HH187.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Oh, don't remember if I mentioned it. For short circuit transfer the flush nozzle works best. For spray it helps to use the recessed nozzle.

Sundowner,

Thanks for the confirmation, I pretty much convinced myself the same thing. I have a old Autoarc 4110 (miller 140 with a .023 gun that I just rebuilt and it seems to work just fine for anything that I can't run .035 with. I am looking forward to seeing how the centerfire frontend parts work on the M-25 gun. I probably jumped the gun when I ordered the .023 rollers and contacts for the MM252 but, oh well.

I am looking to cut up some coupons to concentrate some practice with the 252. I will post my results as I am always learning (heck at my age) I might as well go out practicing!! Besides I am trying to catch up to Craig for number of hours welding and not getting paid to do it (LOL)

Tim
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Default Thanks again guys..

Sundownlll, Tim
    I will be switching to the Bernard parts ASAP.
    These screw in tips are a pain, especially when I melt'em
    Tim, I will try the .035 wire also.
    I start my class early April and am really lookin forward to that.
    Thank you all again..
    Jon

Sundowner,

I got the centerfire frontend parts today and pulled off the M-25 parts and screwed the parts together???? I am not sure what is going on but the "bernard" insulator (looks like a rubber collar with center section that the defuser screws into) anyways, when I put it all together the parts don't tighten up against the insulator?? (what the heck am I missing)

I will call Bernard tomorrow if you aren't able to answer.

Thanks,

Tim
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Tim,

Not sure what the problem is. I didn't have any problem converting my M-25 to Bernard.

You may have to trim the liner slightly to allow the diffuser to seat fully.

When properly installed, the nozzle will seat securely on the insulator.

I'd still recommend touching base with Bernard. The folks there are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Sundowner/straightshot!

Hey, just a headsup! I called Bernard today to see what was up with my attempt to convert my Miller M-25 gun to a Centerfire Bernard frontend.

This is what I found, (I needed what is called a "Hexnut insulator" Part#4780 to complete the conversion) For some reason this part is not listed on the conversion chart on their website.

The good news is after checking 4 LSW's within 50 miles of my place and nto finding the part, the WONDERFUL customer service representative at Bernard informed me "not to worry" they would take care of me! In fact she said she was putting the complete setup including an additonal 10 .030 contacts and 1ea flush and recesses Copper/Brass nozzles in a box and ship to me FOC!! Folks that is a company that will prosper in resessed economic times!!!

Tim:
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Default Bernard "Sneak Peek"

Sometime by the end of this month, Bernard will introduce a new Water-Cooled Center-Fire System for their MIG guns.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"