Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default millermatic 135 troubleshooting

Hi all:

I work in a university and teach undergrads how to weld. We have 2 Millermatic 135s and both are having the same recurring problem. Occasionally, they'll stop feeding the wire smoothly and will start feeding it in a quick start/stop, jerky fashion. This only happens when welding. If I feed the wire into the air, the feed is smooth, like it should be. But when I make contact, the jerking starts.

I've posted some video of the 2 welders in action here: http://kubuildingtech.org/welderproblem/

I took them to my local dealer, and they were not able to help (maybe not able to reproduce the problem?)

Has anyone run across this before?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer......

Cheers,

Nils

I would check the tips and the liner for kinks for starts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Lightbulb

Dial-up, can't see the video. But, in class, jerky was caused when the wire speed was too slow. It felt like someone was pushing the gun back into my hand at a regular 1/2 second interval: poke; poke; poke. I was using a Lincoln 135/140.
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-09-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Two identical welders doing the exact same thing.????
    Not a problem with the machine I bet.
    As stated above check the wire speed or Check the incoming power. Sounds like you don't have enough amp to push the wire and weld.
    Plug it directly into the wall on an isolated circuit
    If that doesn't fix it I'm out of ideas
    Wait a minute you said in the video that the wire was welded to the tip??
    WIRE SPEED turn it up till it frys like bacon
    Kerry
    Last edited by kcstott; 03-09-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Second machine is running the wrong polarity for mild steel. MUST be feeder to positive with work to negative.

Feed is dependent on voltage setting so turn it up on the first machine
    Last edited by cruizer; 03-09-2009 at 08:29 PM.

I have had erratic motor drive speed when my 115 volt welder is plugged into a long, thin gauge extension cord. The 115 volt wirefeed welders run best hen they are feed by a dedicated 20 amp breaker, with a under 50 foot run of 12 gauge wire.

Your drive roll tension looks way to tight, back off the tension adjuster to about 3 on the scale, make sure you are using the right groove in the roller, the spool sounds noisy when rotating, check the tension on the spool break and back it off a bit, make sure that the wire is running squarely through the in and out guide tubes (horizontal and vertical planes). Then try welding again with gun as straight as possible. If the wire is hammering into the metal then feed is too fast, back off speed or up the volts.

Cheers
    Jake

Default Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
    of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
    used some of the parts to make my babington wvo burner.

I'm curious if the cause was ever found?

If the 110 supply wire gauge and run length does not appear to be the problem, I could also see where a miswired outlet could cause problems.. Maybe having hot and neutral swapped, or a bad ground?

I think it was a low output voltage isue and a polarity miswire. I think he got them up and running, though once a problem is fixed, they don't seem to report back.