Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: branding pot

I'm surprised there are three separate irons.

I wouldn't think the cattle would be very happy after the first one!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    -snip- calf fries

hmmmm, what exactly is a "calf fry"?
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smith View Post
    hmmmm, what exactly is a "calf fry"?
    Well Fred, usually when the branding is going on it is a great time to make steers out of the little bull calves. Take the calfs nuts and peel the thick layer of hide off of it and throw them on the stove, let them fry just a little and then GULP their gone

Must be a country boy thang HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewto...ght=calf+fries

Looky here if you want the real thing.

G3

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    Well Fred, usually when the branding is going on it is a great time to make steers out of the little bull calves. Take the calfs nuts and peel the thick layer of hide off of it and throw them on the stove, let them fry just a little and then GULP their gone

Must be a country boy thang HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewto...ght=calf+fries

Looky here if you want the real thing.

G3
    very well said looks like a cool forum! I shold toss some of my brands up on there to see what kind of feedback I get!

G3farms do you need a set of brands?? what do you think of the set?
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Those are some good looking irons, I like the way you wrapped the wire on them. Good looking heater also.

As far as irons go, no I dont need any but thanks for the offer. I don't brand, only tattoo the ears. I raise registered charolais myself.

You do any ranching??

G3

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    Those are some good looking irons, I like the way you wrapped the wire on them. Good looking heater also.

As far as irons go, no I dont need any but thanks for the offer. I don't brand, only tattoo the ears. I raise registered charolais myself.

You do any ranching??

G3
    I grew up on farm and did the rodeo thing for close to 10 years as a bareback rider, I fenced in the summer and processed cows for feed lots in the winter time, I met a ranchers daughter and married her, we live just outside calgary so the chances of me getting back into farming/ranching is very slim, it cost close to a million to have, say 10 acres around here, they use alot of electric brands around here as well, and you dont have brandings like they use to. those where fun times for sure! there's alot of red/black angus, herford use to be big but the black/red have taken over, in laws run a bunch of registered red angus
    Last edited by pipeline Dan; 03-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    I can flip the brands over to the other side with out them rolling back
    Id have to say turn the torch down if your brands are flipping back over, we run 4 torches and never had one flip over on me, no idea how they could

Hmmmm, those branding irons look a lot like those we see all rusted up and going as phoo phoo stuff for wannabeewesterndecor types.

I've always been told to put on a heat sink when making a branding iron. That way it hold its heat and can do more brands between heats.

The pot is neat.

i think its barbaric, cant you just put some nice collars on the cows with a name tag?
    Anything you could do, I could do better.
    I can do anything better than you!
    Lockheed Martin
    Armco Steel, Baltimore
    USW local #3185

I think it has to be permanent in their line of work. Perhaps a nice tattoo, like a heart that says MOM inside ?
    Sometimes there's no second chances.