Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Minor repairs to my IR

Here are the pics of the repairs i made to my compressor made a new tail pipe,modify the new stock muffler i bought,the old one came apart.Also made a new guard for the front of the motor from some perferated metal and hanger stock from work.I,m thinking of packing the conduit pc in front of the muffler with a little steel wool to quiet it down.Anybody ever try this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I bet that sucker is loud.

Just a thought, could you use a muffler from a small car?
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    I bet that sucker is loud.

Just a thought, could you use a muffler from a small car?
    I just had the whole pipe off the studs in the motor are small and one was in tuff shape the weight is the issue i,m going to add a brace off the bottom of the conduit pc i added and pack little steel wool to muffle in down a tad more.In one of the pics you can see a little bracket off the cylinder head going to bolt there and weld to conduit and drill holes/heat sink to prevent a little less heat tranfer to the head off the muffler assemble
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

the steel wool might catch on fire from the heat, get some fiberglass muffler insulation and pack it with that. dirt bike wrap will work and is cheap. use something like this
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10111

some reason my first post did not work
    but I was saying that steel wool is flammable, and it might catch on fire from the heat. I would recommend some muffler fiber glass. dirt bike muffler wrap is cheap. here is an example http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10111

Default #3 steel wool

No good just tried it made the muffler real hot and when i shut it down a little bit inside caught fire so scratch that idea.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    I'm thinking of packing the conduit pc in front of the muffler with a little steel wool to quiet it down. Anybody ever try this?
    Yes, I did. I don't remember whether it was on a snowmobile or dirt bike, but it ignited quickly and turned into lava spitting out the exhaust. It was much further away from the exhaust port than yours will be.

Edit: Maybe I should read all the posts before I reply.
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

I'd second a muffler from a small car.

If not, Several options.

Among them:

Kaowool (mineral fiber insulation) or fibreglas (not as heat resistant, but ok) packed around the inside. NOT stuffed in, as it will restrict flow.

Longer large pipe with some washers welded in spaced nonuniformly. Spacing about one pipe diameter apart with the hole a little larger than the inlet pipe size.

A half baffle (like used on a stock Harley muffler). Perforate a hunk of sheet metal with 1/4" holes spaced on maybe 1/2 to 5/8 centers. Cut to width the inside diameter of the tube and length so that the total area of the holes is maybe 1/5 times the cross section of the inlet pipe. Bend the ends one up and one down to make a 'Z' shape and trim the bent ends to semicircles that fit in the tube.

Muffler design is an art and science. You can mess with the thing for a LONG time to get what you want. You might also look at what Honda (and a few others) put on their little portable 'silent' generators. They really are darn near silent.

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    No good just tried it made the muffler real hot and when i shut it down a little bit inside caught fire so scratch that idea.
    Sorry tried to warn you, but when I tried to post that morning, There was some filter that though I was a spammer since I had a link in my post. The Admin had to go back and "release" my original post. But it looks like you found out the hard way. And just a FYI for peoples emergency survival pack, keep steep wool in there because it is very easy to ignite. I only takes one spark and it up in flames. It is more flammable than the dryer lint.