Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cart looks good. You might want to mfg a hanger instead of the pipe for the gun. Right now too much "gun stickout" in front of the cart. The expanded metal is great in most application. For the purpose of a shelf is not one of them. All kinds of dirt and debris will fall on the welder.
    Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
    Dynasty 200DX
    Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
    Trek 5500
    1966 Amphicar

Default "2 Story Mig Cart"

I did something very similar for my 8VS feeder. Built the top shelf for it, keep a Tillman bag with drive rolls, nozzles tips, etc on the middle shelf, and about 3 spools of wire on the bottom with nozzle gel, etc.

I can roll it out to the Trailblazer, or pick it off the shelf without a big fuss.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Like the saying goes "If your going to be dumb you better be tough."
    funny i heard that one growing up
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Bump to top
    Garrett R. Durio
    Millermatic 180
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    B&D 7" grinder
    Skill 4 1/2" Grinder
    www.myspace.com/garrettdurio

Default no guard

I was grinding on a car hood with a variable speed buffer with a cup type wire brush. It hit a dip and jumped back against me and caught in my jump suit and ripped the zipper out all the way, about 24 inches and then stalled out. 3 amp makita variable speed. If I had used the 15 amp dewalt I would have been in big trouble as the brush caught the suit about belt high.

Now I ALWAYS LEAVE THE GUARDS ON.

Default Perfect millermatic 180

I own a millermatic 180 and a 252.If you think you enjoy your millermatic180 wait until you try it with a Bernard gun with those Centerfire tips.Within respect of each of my machines' capacity,if you cant see to which machine i hooked the gun to you'll find it very hard to tell while welding with either.The 180 is a very good weapon(not a toy).It's very much professional equipment with the Bernard gun and that is what i use for 90% of my road jobs.Make shure you get the gun with the rotatable goose neck!

I too hope you put those guards back on...good luck finding them. I also like that you have the handle on at least the 7"

I too have had a grinder bite me. I was holding a piece of angle stainless steel against a welding table and holding the 4 1/2" with my other hand. I was taking the scale off, so that it could be brushed to a #4 finish.

Well, that grinder decided it was going left...and it grazed the back of my thumb through my leather glove. At the time it was about a quarter inch deep, and about 5/8ths wide. I have a reminder every time I look at my hand.

Now I use the clamps, I grab the handles, and I keep the guards.

Good work on the cart though, giving me ideas for my own (sometime in the near future)

heh... tried using a grinder without a guard once with a 7" cutting blade... My brother kept making "safety first" jokes while I was doing it, and when the edge of the blade finally tagged one of my gloves which just instantly turned to dust and disappeared I decided it was a bad idea.

Otherwise, I've been bitten 2x:

The first time was with a knotted brush on a 4.5" grinder which slipped and as it fell caught the front of my shirt. The shirt got completely wrapped around it and it still didn't stall, and in the process it ripped all the fur off my belly... lucky I was wearing heavy gloves and was able to grab the whole deal and stall it with my hands (the shirt wrapped around the grinder made finding the switch impossible, and wasn't thinking fast enough to unplug it, probably couldn't reach anyway).

The second time I was making some fairly intricate cuts in some steel with a 4.5" wheel on one of the bigger makita grinders. That got ugly in a split second. I'm not even really sure how I did it but since I was using both hands to guide it and the knuckle on my left forefinger got just a little too close... the friend of mine standing on the other side of the garage actually said he heard the different sound it made when it hit my knuckle, and it instantly went through my skin, right down to the knuckle. The speed of the wheel cauterized the cut so there was almost no blood, but I could see a clear cross section of everything I cut through, including a blood vessel. It was really kind of creepy. We sat and stared at it for a little bit, it looked a lot like an illustration out of a text book, and we were expecting it to start gushing blood any second but it didn't so we weren't really sure what to do with it.
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5 angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

Quote Originally Posted by flighteng View Post
    I was grinding on a car hood with a variable speed buffer with a cup type wire brush. It hit a dip and jumped back against me and caught in my jump suit and ripped the zipper out all the way, about 24 inches and then stalled out. 3 amp makita variable speed. If I had used the 15 amp dewalt I would have been in big trouble as the brush caught the suit about belt high.

Now I ALWAYS LEAVE THE GUARDS ON.
    I've had one of those cup brushes get me too. Slipped off a door I was grinding, ran across my wrist and got tangled in my shirt. I had a gash in my wrist about 1/2" wide, but luckily didn't get to the artery. Took a chunk of meat out of my chest too even though it got tangled in my shirt. ..ouch...

your cart looks good. There has been to many others say about the grinders so i will leave you alone with that.