Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yeah your getting it now James. Looking real good bud.

Hey Bert....I may need some of your help ohhh say around February.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

James, your stickwelds are bout the same as mine , rember I just stared stick welding , Only thing different is I hold the stinger closer to the bottom

Inferno Forge

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    James, Jonnymag wants you to be a hand model
    Bert,

Hey, I'm just a beginner who's still trying to find a grip to hold the stinger a little steadier. Besides, you're the one who told me to watch those manufacturer's reps if I wanted to get better. So if jwsrep showed James a new grip, then I should want to see it too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jwsrep View Post
    Hey Bert....I may need some of your help ohhh say around February.
    JWS,

Sorry, but if you've been following Bert's story, you know he'll still be busy painting his dad's house in February

James,

Wow. That much improvement in just 2 sessions. Man, I really gotta start putting in more hours of practice time

Talking

i'll help paint the house if he pays for the plain ticket.

thanks jonnymag, i'm really pleased with my progress so far. i think its really about figuring out a good way to hold the stick and then how much filler comes off it. its surprisingly slow IMO. so i had to slow down a bunch to let it fill in the hole it burns when it first moves. its like move burn a hole fill it in then move. burn a hole and fill it in and move again. it goes much slower than i always thought it would. seeing it done right really helped. i would have just been burning holes for ever if i had not had jwsrep help to see you need to wait and fill them. i kept trying to go faster to keep from burning holes but really i needed to go slower so i could fill them back up again.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

James, remember to save the pic of when you first started! Like night and day!!! Keep it up buddy
    jwsrep...yeah, by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
    jonnymag=
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
    cool so how about it, you pay the plain fare i'll paint the house for ya, then we can play with the welding stuff.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

ok, but I'll have to break into my dauyghter's piggy bank!!!
    no more dog treats for her!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default re fun 4 now

you dont have to clean the slag every rod,if your quick enough changing rods you can burn into your tie in nicely without any inclusions etc(trust me on this and try it out for yourself)itll save you alot of time when you need it.

Looking very nice for no longer than you have been at it. I've known so-called pros that weren't that good. Of course all they did was chase drilling rigs.

Cut your upward travel by about half and it should smooth it out quite a bit. It will take some experimenting, but you will get it. Truth is I am not as smooth as I used to be. My eyes are shot.

I will have to get someone to take a pic of my uphill grip. It is a little different and involves bending the rod, but it works really good for me. I don't have near the normal range of motion in my wrist so I have to compensate
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

I will have to get someone to take a pic of my uphill grip. It is a little different and involves bending the rod, but it works really good for me
    cool, always good to try new options.
    getting some one else to take the pic is a good idea, it was harder than i thought to take a pic of my own hand. although the welding gloves probably didn't help the situation.
    how about a few pic's of your welds wile you are at it.
    you don't have to clean the slag every rod,if your quick enough changing rods you can burn into your tie in nicely without any inclusions etc(trust me on this and try it out for yourself)it'll save you alot of time when you need it.
    i was thinking stick welding was kinds slow, even considering my lack of experience. i also thought the time used to clean allowed the metal to cool a bit. seemed like by the time i got to the 3rd stick i had to turn down the amps a bit. am i messing up or should i just hold longer to fill more as it heats up and cuts in deeper??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES