Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ive always found that doing verticle up on DC was the easiest, but not to mention all those machines were kinda new and i was using 7018 or 6010.all the AC machines i used were ancient (older than me) and using 6013. One was a 40 year old forney arc welder where you plug the cable into the amperage you want. Although come to think about it i have run uphand with 6013 on both ac and dc and i'll say that neither of them turned out good at all, way easier with 7018 on dc

dc reverse or dc stinger positive. ac is messier. now some old timers believe that if you didnt weld it on ac it didnt get welded. dc reverse is pretty much anything for smaw welding. although there are a few circumstances that require ac welding with a stick. grain augers being one of them, the parent metal will get magnetized by the grain and when you try to weld on dc the magnetism will actually blow the puddle out and be everywhere that it is not supposed to be. this is where ac comes in. for now, i would use dc reverse
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool Stick welding

Hey fun4now you'll want to be on DCEP.the only time you'll want to be on DCEN is when you are doing roots with 9018-B3 then you switch back to DCEP to finish. AnywayDCEP for all your stick welding needs.6013 is for sheet metal like furnaces and that kind of thin stuff I love it for that kind of work very good rod. Anyway 7018 1/8th DCEP please. When you first start welding school over here in Vancouver you will start with 7018 1/8th on DCEP period.

"why"! Well you'll find that there's no arc wonder, the puddle stay's fluid, the stick to puddle distance is easily controlable. It is not unstable, easyer to start; the sound is nice, crisp, clear and clean. And it is nothing like wire, where you have to keep going because you always have wire coming out. Stick is more fore giving than wire. You’ll need 3/8 tee joints. Just keep in mind though you cant just weld and weld and weld what will happen is the plates will get way to hot and when you are doing up hand the weld wont stick to the metal you'll end up with grapes. Sometimes you can keep turning the heat down but only so far though until the weld becomes ineffective.

Now I have not tried the AC way of stick welding so I could not comment on it until I read about it then try it sorry.

well this is the hardest positon to do in SMAW is vertical up. 7018 1/8 imo is the best to learn with some metal tee's. U need to do a small weave in corner just moving over barly to each side until u see the puddle of metal (not flux) on side of ur rod then move quick over to other side and repeat. This weld took me 2 weeks non stop practice to perfect for a bend test. with the 7018 1/8 i run at 110 amps, although u kinda have to find the right setting for your own machine and material ur welding. I beleive that you only want bead to be 5/16 in width so u wnat to keep it pretty tight when weaving up.

jwsrep stopped by this after noon and showed me what it should look like and gave me a better idea of what i should be doing and a new way to hold the stinger. and a hand full of 7018 1/8". i picked up 5lbs of 3/32" 7018 also and should ge a good bit of practice in. i don't know how long the 7018 will last so i better burn it up quick. he also dropped me off some steel stock to burn on thats much thicker. i gotta get over thinking the slag is my bead drooping all over and just do the weld and see what it looks like when its done. my first stick worked out purity good but i was thinking it was going to be horrible before the slag came off.
    tomorrow i have to go put tires on the wifes car (she is on a spare and some slicks) so i don't know if i'll get a chance to play much tomorrow as i have to go into town to get the tires so thats 2Hrs burned in transit. but sat. i'll get some practice in and get you some pic's to look at.
    i have a pic of my first try just to show i'm not afraid to show the bad as well as the good. this was the clearest pic i could get.
    so go easy on me i'll get better. this weekend i'll be burning a lot so with some luck we will see some improvement.

thanks for all the help.
    i'll keep the progress posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool Not Bad

I think the only thing you realy need to do now is slow down and pause a little longer on the sides.other than that it's really not that bad at all.Good work.

James,
    It was good to meet you today. Keep at it. Practice pratice practice.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Darmik, i don't know if its seeing the slag droop or just my ADDHD but i have trouble waiting before moving. i'm supposed to be doing a 1-1,000 2-1,000 3-1,000 then move. i'll get it just gotta get used to it. how to hold the stinger was a big help.
    jwsrep, great to meat you as well. i'll keep at it. Saturday i'll find the time to burn up as much of that rod as i can. thanks again for all the help and the coupons.
    James
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

You are more than welcome. Remember if you need me you know how to get ahold of me.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Good luck on your uphill. And like jwsrep said, practice, practice, practice, cause that is the only way you will get it. As for ac vs dc maybe it's just because I've been at this so long I can't really tell a difference anymore, but 7018 is an ac rod, and like any ac rod has a stabilized arc characteristic, which means it runs even better on dc. If you get it down on dc then ac is a breeze. You always run 7018 dcep, it will run dcen, but dcen with 7018 is not legal in any code I am aware of. You can get by on 1/4" using 3/32 uphill and thinner after you get it down. Ten guage and smaller get some 6010/6011 and run it downhill.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.