Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

seemed like by the time i got to the 3rd stick i had to turn down the amps a bit.

That is normal in uphill welding, especially with 7018 because heat rises. You will also see it in MIG. I normally just pull out and let things cool back down a little bit if it gets to be a problem. It has a lot to do with the thickness of the parts you are joining. The heavier (thicker) they are the less problem it becomes because there is more area for the heat to spread to. It doesn't hurt anything to turn down a little when it gets to that point.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    jwsrep...yeah, by February, I should be starting on the right side of the house
    jonnymag=
    Hey Bert....is now a good time to tell you I have a real bad case of tennis elbow?
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Hey Rich! I bet that "tennis elbow" won't bother you if I take you fishing for mahi mahi, ahi or a marling, eh????
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

. It has a lot to do with the thickness of the parts you are joining. The heavier (thicker) they are the less problem it becomes because there is more area for the heat to spread to.
    my coupons were red almost yellow. it definitely had some built up heat. i'm starting to see some definite disadvantages to stick. for some reason i always saw stick as a fairly fast process. not shore why, maybe i just figured it would have to be a fast process to be out on the pipe lines when they are trying to get the stuff laid as fast as possible. i suspect every one is faster then me but i still see it having some real speed bumps. thats not to say it doesn't have some advantages, i just thought it would cover more per stick. thinking of 2 or 3 passes seems like a real time killer one stick at a time.

thanks for all the help guys. i'm still trying to get this down and really appreciate all the tips and help.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Hey Rich! I bet that "tennis elbow" won't bother you if I take you fishing for mahi mahi, ahi or a marling, eh????

I would list that under physical therapy
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]. my coupons were red almost yellow. it definitely had some built up heat. i'm starting to see some definite disadvantages to stick.
    I should have told you this yesterday when you were in the store. When doing multiple passes, you need to monitor the interpass temerature. Usually the interpass temperature should not exceed 550 degrees F. Also if you were doing a NYSDOT test you would have to preheat the coupon to 350 degrees, weld a pass, check the temperature of the coupon, let cool to 350 degrees, weld another pass and so on. You use the temperature indicating crayon type sticks (temp sicks) to monitor your interpass and preheat temps. AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Code does not always mandate that you measure interpass temperature, but it is a good thing to do.

To control the mechanical and microstructural properties of weldments, interpass temperature is just as important as, if not more important than, preheat temperature. Yield and ultimate tensile strengths of the weld metal depend greatly on interpass temperature. A high interpass temperature can reduce weld strength and at the same time result in a finer grain structure and improved Charpy V notch-toughness transition temperatures. However, when interpass temperatures exceed approximately 500 F, this trend is reversed. In fact, the American Welding Society Position Statement on the Northridge Earthquake recommends that interpass temperature not exceed 550 F when notch toughness is a requirement.

There are other times when a designer may want to limit the maximum interpass temperature. For example, if he expects a minimum strength level for a particular component that could experience extremely high interpass temperatures, due to its size or welding procedures, he would specify a maximum interpass temperature. Otherwise, weld strength may be unacceptably low. A maximum interpass temperature is also necessary for quenched and tempered steels. Due to their heattreating characteristics, engineers must control interpass temperature within limits in order to provide adequate mechanical properties in the weld metal and HAZ.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician

thanks Rich,
    looks like i'm shooting for a AWS D1.1 code , 3g & 4g guess i better get to burring. i'll give ya a call or stop by when i'm ready to try over head.

if i wanted to practice 1/2" could i just stack 2 1/4" plates and prep them as 1. would that weld the same ??? or close enough to count for learning?? or would it burn totally different as 2 pieces ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

For practice it shouldn't hurt, at least starting out. It is always best to practice on the same material you will be testing on. Also same electrodes and procedure.

Pipelining was originally done with O/A, and yes you can put a stringer in with it. Eventually portable machines were available and stick technology had progressed to the point it is now preferred. It is much faster and much easier than O/A. There is a definite trick to smaw welding pipe, and it doesn't work well outdoors at all. I have never seen nor heard of fcaw on pipe. It's the same thing for TIG. It isn't well suited at all for pipelining, wind, speed, need for back purging, etc. TIG is used a lot in construction, but almost exclusively on high chrome, stainless, and certain other alloys of pipe. The construction jobs I was on all mild steel was done with sticks. In the New Mexico oilfield stainless is primarily welded with sticks. If you have ever been there you know the wind never stops blowing.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.