Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stainless ?

Default Stainless ?

I have a small project here. It's a brush frame for an industrial vacuum cleaner.
    My question is, can I weld this with the ER70S I have on the shelf or do a need to get stainless filler. The reason I ask is it's 1.5 to 2 hours round trip to the nearest welding supply. This is a non-pay job, so if I can get by with the filler I have (and it won't crack) it sure would make life easier. If it just plain won't work I'll make the trek to the store.
    Thanks

Last edited by pro70z28; 03-05-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I have a small project here. It's a brush frame for an industrial vacuum cleaner.
    My question is, can I weld this with the ER70S I have on the shelf or do a need to get stainless filler. The reason I ask is it's 1.5 to 2 hours round trip to the nearest welding supply. This is a non-pay job, so if I can get by with the filler I have (and it won't crack) it sure would make life easier. If it just plain won't work I'll make the trek to the store.
    Thanks

Simply put, yes you can, cracking won't be a issue but it will rust.
    Funny thing, cheaper grades of stainless will rust and are also magnetic.

This is an old vac our church has that's no longer made & this is one part they can no longer get. We are just trying to make it last a little longer. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot with the filler I have.

I just checked it and it is very slightly magnetic.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 03-05-2009 at 07:37 AM.

Low grade stainless, you will be just fine with what you have. You gonna Tig it?

Not much thickness there.

Good luck and let us know how you did...

Yes, I plan to TIG it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I said I would post "post pics." so here they are but I'm not at all proud of the outcome. I got the outside smooth so it won't snag the carpet & the inside really isn't a bead it's more of a casting. There's plenty of filler and I got it to flow to both sides of the break so it should hold. Just not a lot of room to weld & see the weld at the same time. We'll give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for the help.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Looks good from my house.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.