Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    Craig,
    (I know the UPS guy pretty well and he has a tow hook on the back of his "brown truck" that I could half hitch the ground lead to and he could just tow the MM252 to Denver?? what ya think?
    Yep, that'll werk fer me.
    By the way you have to be the best at "quote, paste", quote, paste" around!!
    Thanks! I use it just to give you a headache. =) My secret is to start small and do a lot of Preview Posts to see what each change does. The four smilie limit sure hinders the effectiveness.

No I didn't Mig the AL coupon I actually ran two 7" tig fillets without screwing up to bad--Can't afford a spool gun and besides I haven't gotten a smoke evacuator for my little shop yet (wife and the Stock market have me on a short leash!)
    I thought you'd give up on TIG once you got that 252. ;-) Glad you're getting the fillets more to your liking. The stock market has been bad to me. A year ago I was set for life, social security was going to be my 'toys fund'. :-(

FK and Aerometalworker, Both you guys are a great source of information and wisdom for us "ole" Newbie tig welders and I for one am truly humbled by the art form that you guys make of this process.
    I've become a student welding junkie learning from everyone willing to share.

Tim (just slightly younger then Craig!)
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Its a skag. Just make it perpendicular to the hub and straight in line with it. Its the best can be done. Want the best performance? Buy new LU. I did lots and no jig. It must follow the shape of the LU. String lined one that was lost to the hub. Guy drove boat home no prob. Didn't know it was gone till on the trailer.
    Last edited by Steve; 03-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.

[QUOTE=Steve;181111]Its a skag. Just make it perpendicular to the hub and straight in line with it. Its the best can be done. QUOTE]

Maybe the best can be done by you, but not the best that can be done.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

And your points of precise measurements are? Besides it can't be tilted to the left or right vertically, nor can it be twisted to port or starboard. One good tack and away it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    And your points of precise measurements are? Besides it can't be tilted to the left or right vertically, nor can it be twisted to port or starboard. One good tack and away it goes.
    Of course, thats why its jigged. And most ARE "twisted", at least on anything over 50 horse.
    -Aaron

P.S. Hmmm no serial number from the mystery flaming Merc engine....why am I not supprized.
    Last edited by Aerometalworker; 03-08-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Twisted is what it needs to be I suspect...with the tail to the starboard on standard rotation.
    Looking forward to the correct geometry myself...I have plenty of room in my head now that I have forgotten so much stuff.
    I would be much happier knowing this when repairing the 100mph+ boats.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Good reading here. Much appreciated to be able to read it all.

I'll toss this out on motors too.... I want to buy American as much as I can. But for boat motors the yamaha's for us have run a LONG time. More so than any US model I've had.

I still have a 15, from circa 83, its been run on average probably close to 75 hours a year and is still kicking just fine. Original carb kit in it also. been through 3 skegs on it so far. I just can't beat that in my books.

I tried to find a used one for my big bay boat, but no luck and had to settle for a Johnson there. But the other small one, new 4 stroke 25, has been doing just fine except for dang ethanol corroding the carb.

Had a circa 86 90hp, we ran who knows how many hours runnign it about 25 miles out offshore many weekends, last time I saw it, it still started about instantly and was running strong.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rost495 View Post
    Good reading here. Much appreciated to be able to read it all.

I'll toss this out on motors too.... I want to buy American as much as I can. But for boat motors the yamaha's for us have run a LONG time. More so than any US model I've had.

I still have a 15, from circa 83, its been run on average probably close to 75 hours a year and is still kicking just fine. Original carb kit in it also. been through 3 skegs on it so far. I just can't beat that in my books.

I tried to find a used one for my big bay boat, but no luck and had to settle for a Johnson there. But the other small one, new 4 stroke 25, has been doing just fine except for dang ethanol corroding the carb.

Had a circa 86 90hp, we ran who knows how many hours runnign it about 25 miles out offshore many weekends, last time I saw it, it still started about instantly and was running strong.

Jeff
    Jeff,
    Guess who built the powerhead for that 15? Oh and its hard to base a product sold today on what was made 20 years ago. Did you know both Honda and Yamaha had joint ventures with Merc to develop their gear cases? Hmmmm. Like I said before, I laugh when I read some reports out there, if people only knew the whole story.

P.S. still waiting for that phantom serial number.
    Last edited by Aerometalworker; 03-08-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Talking My Favorite Skeg

Last edited by FusionKing; 03-11-2009 at 05:31 AM.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

ship shape tv did a show on skegs
    they tac with tig then filled in with
    30a spoolgun