Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welded Farm Art

Default Farm Art

kmomaha: That is incredible detail! You retired from PKS? Just curious, the address and all.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Newest Project

Here is an update on my latest project.

It is a John Deere 70 with a mounted No.100 Sugar Beet Harvester. It will have two or three kids riding on the back with Pa running the rig. Just like I remember the good ol days in the mid to late 50's in the Yellowstone Valley. Will mount it in a field of sugar beets with leaves of steel. My memories

Have been working on this thing for a year, as we moved to a different place and haven't been able to get back to it till now. I don't want the parts too perfect as it would take too long and look too much like a model. I want it very evident that it was hand cut and welded. Like a painting you don't want to look too close at it. The most difficult part was the rear tractor wheels and tires. They aren't perfect by any means, but that is just the way the brush strokes fell. One must maintain general symmetry and straightness or it will turn into a distorted pile of junk.

The rear tires were the hardest pieces. To make them I made a full circle half dougnut mold in oak and beat two halves of 22 ga. into it. Then welded the two halves together and welded the turkey tracks to it. Lot of grinding back using Mr. Dremel. Tried bending 5/8" rod around a pipe, but couldn't get the bend sharp enough. That is a single wire around a ground groove in the front tire to make the rib. The weld is on the bottom. ...........Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    kmomaha: That is incredible detail! You retired from PKS? Just curious, the address and all.

Dave
    Dave; Thanks; Not PKS but Army Corps of Engineers .. just down the street.
    Powerplant Engineering ...Ken

Default Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by kmomaha View Post
    Dave; Thanks; Not PKS but Army Corps of Engineers .. just down the street.
    Powerplant Engineering ...Ken

Ken: That is an art talent envied by many. Very good work!

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"