Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Chrome Moly tube welding?

Any help on welding frame for go-kart? A buddy has a son with a hotrod go- kart and they want to put a different engine in it and they need one of the cross bars moved. I have welded many years but never chrome moly. Any help would be good!!!

This ain't gonna be good.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Default Chrome Moly welding?

Hey i'm looking for some info on welding chrome moly tubing. My buddies' son has a go kart and they want to put a bigger engine on it so they need to move one of the cross bars. I have been welding for quite a few years but mainly on things quite a bit larger( D-8, D-9, ect.) I have a Trailblazer 302 w/ 12 RC wire feeder and a Dynasty 200 DX. Need to know the best process and what wire or filler metal to use. Thanks...

I read on the Internet somewhere that you should weld it with oxy-acetylene...

Lots of stuff on this subject.
    Do a search. You'll find enough stuff to make your eyes hurt.

Long and short of it is...I'd tig it with ER80S-D2 or ER70-S2.

Andy

Thanks, andy

Quote Originally Posted by ROD BURNER View Post
    Hey i'm looking for some info on welding chrome moly tubing. My buddies' son has a go kart and they want to put a bigger engine on it so they need to move one of the cross bars. I have been welding for quite a few years but mainly on things quite a bit larger( D-8, D-9, ect.) I have a Trailblazer 302 w/ 12 RC wire feeder and a Dynasty 200 DX. Need to know the best process and what wire or filler metal to use. Thanks...
    Well if you had searched this topic you would have found about 84 pages dealing with this subject. The short story is, with what you have, Tig with ER70S-2. Stresses on the joint will determine if you need to perform any post weld operation.
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I read on the Internet somewhere that you should weld it with oxy-acetylene...
    If the OP had said he had that as an option I would have suggested it
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

One thing to keep in mind, on a Kart the suspension is the flex in the frame. In the wet, most of the bracing comes off, on a high grip track bracing goes on.

If you are changing cross bars, that part needs to stay in line, engine and axle sprockets that is.

Keep an eye on the welds when you are running it, the frames move and twist a lot on the track, especially in high g turns.

So what are you changing from, to?

Quote Originally Posted by ROD BURNER View Post
    Any help on welding frame for go-kart? A buddy has a son with a hotrod go- kart and they want to put a different engine in it and they need one of the cross bars moved. I have welded many years but never chrome moly. Any help would be good!!!
    Well, if the frame fails they will blame you, and if the is injury involved, they will come after you. Yes Dad is all for it, but Mom will hang you ass. Having never welded chrome moly, I dint think this is the place to learn.
    Just my $.02
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.