Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    I went to Bend Sr High Class of '58.
    Telling us your age, huh?
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Smile Robot Information

here is a link to the FIRST Robot site.

http://www.usfirst.org/

This web site can explain the concept better than I can.

I work at Bellarmine Preparatory School here in Tacoma Wash. and the team here just went to the nationals that were held in Georgia.

the statements below are off the site just to give people an idea of what they are trying to do.
    ------------------

Vision

"To transform our culture by creating a world where science and technology are celebrated and where young people dream of becoming science and technology heroes."

Dean Kamen, Founder

Mission

Our mission is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.

Dean Kamen is an inventor, entrepreneur, and tireless advocate for science and technology. His passion and determination to help young people discover the excitement and rewards of science and technology are the cornerstones of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology).

FIRST was founded in 1989 to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, the 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit public charity designs accessible, innovative programs that motivate young people to pursue education and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math, while building self-confidence, knowledge, and life skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Telling us your age, huh?
    Yup.
    My first welding class was in high school, in 1955.
    Looking at my latest project, it hasn't improved much.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    I went to Bend Sr High Class of '58.
    I was born in 58 and I don't feel old
    My wife still says I am just a big kid

Default adding two cents-

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    My company sponsors six different teams in the Robot First competition. Robot First is an organization that gets High School students involved in designing and building robots that must compete with and against other robots at regional competitions. The idea is to get these students interested in science and technology in a high energy fun environment.

I have been associated with one of the teams, which has a bunch of toolmakers, technicians and engineers that help the students with their robot and also sponsor the machine shop function for all teams at three regional competitions. We bring small portable lathes, milling machines, drill presses, band saws, belt sanders and a variety of hand tools to help the students make and modify parts of their robots.

I will assist with any welding required during the three regionals. My Dynasty 200 DX TIG welder is ideal because the robots are mostly made of light gage aluminum. This year for one location I will be welding in the same room as the rest of the machine shop. The weld curtains that we have at work are 10 x 6 so they are hard to transport. To solve the problem I modified one weld curtain frame so that it can be knocked down for transport. The frames are made of 1 square tubing. For the modification I welded tubing into the 1 tubing to make a slip joint. Attached are pictures of the knock down weld curtain.

More information regarding Robot First go to the following link.

http://www.usfirst.org/?gclid=CJTNgZ...FQpzHgodni2p-A
    I've found the most convenient/knockdown weld curtain is one with no frame, and uses a center pole support. To wit:

Material can vary, lately I made one of-

1x1x1/8 steel tube "yardarm"; top of screen is attached to this

1x1x1/8 center tube that accepts a 3/4 round stub welded at center of yardarm

1x1x1/8 tripod base with a 3/4 stub welded at center to be received by the center tube.

Tripod bases can be handily made by marking out a circle with points at 120 degrees, placing a riser of some kind, washers, for instance, at a height of about 1 to 1-1/2 inches at the circle's center.

Lay the legs out on the marks on the circle, bring them all together on top of the riser at the center and tack/weld.

This rig can be handled by one guy easily, and it swings out of the way on it's center, also.

Variations abound.

How about a picture, or diagram for a better understanding?
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

can't do a photo or diagram, sorry.

It's basically a three-legged stand with a horizontal piece the top of the screen is tied to.

The tripod base is low to the ground, the center only an inch or two off the ground/floor; the legs can be about 18" long.

Here is a roll up weld curtain that has a center pole, which we also have at work. It works like a screen for a slide projector.

http://www.gortite.com/docs/62.pdf

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Cool

cool, easy to transport and quick to set up. i like it.
    if you don't have the time to make one, it looks like a great option.
    wonder what the $$ is ?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES