Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Water cooled TIG torch hookup question

Got a rookie question for you

Just unboxed a water cooled TIG torch to hook up to a Dynasty 200DX and Coolmate 3 water cooler. There are 3 hoses leading from the torch. One is labeled WATER, which I assume goes to the OUTPUT on the water cooler so that cool water reaches the torch first. Then (I assume) after cooling the torch it is returned along the line which provides the amps to the torch to keep it cool as well. From there the coolant makes a short trip from the DINSE adapter to the water cooler INPUT port.

The WATER coupling will fit either port (both are left-hand threaded) on the water cooler, but I assume it matters which direction the water flows (or does it?). Last thing I want to do is lose on a 50-50 chance and fry a new torch.

The third hose is labeled GAS, which I think I have under control; since there is only one possible place it can go.

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

yes the flow direction matters. if the hose dose not come with papperwork to tell you i would give a dealer a call befor hooking it up. sorry i cant remember witch way it goes.
    some one might know or a serch would likely tell you, but i would call the maker/seller of the torch. is there a web site on the torch ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Speedway site

Howdy Fun!

Here's the Speedway website

http://www.techtorch.com/sw%20torches.htm

I have the 320 amp version, which is totally overkill for the 200DX, but I really like that torch.

Gonna' stop by the welding shop where I purchased it to see if their TIG guy can give me some direction. (Thought I would try the Board first to get a reality check...) I need to pick up a new DINSE adapter anyway, since the one that comes with the Dynasty won't accept the Speedway connection.

The way I normally tell my customers to hook up a water cooled TIG torch is:
    On a Dynasty 200DX:
    You should have an adaptor # 195 377 which is a dinse style connector with a short water hose on it (unless this came stock on your TIG torch). That hose should be connected to your water in connection on your CM3. The other water hose (left hand threads) should go to your water out on your CM3. The other hose is your argon hose that gets connected to your inert gas fitting on the front of your Dynasty 200DX.

My reasoning for connecting the water hose to the cooler outlet is to provide maximum cooling effect to the torch head (where you are holding on to the torch). Then the coolant flows over the power cable keeping it cool also.

Someone may hook it up different...really a matter of preference. There is ample cooling effect for the entire system. Just I like to give the torch the max cooling.

BTW, congrats on purchasing a great piece of equipment. I have sold quite a few of these recently.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Samurai Dave,

If you'll go to this website, there's a detailed drawing showing water-cooled torch hookup:

http://www.weldcraft.com/pdf/HOOKUPA.pdf

Hope this helps.

Default Cool Deal!

Gentlement, I greatly appreciate the information!

JWSREP - That is the water flow direction that made most sense to me, but it is good to know that there is enough cooling capacity regardless of how I hooked it up. I can see why the Dynasty is popular. It is more welder than I am used to, but I hope to grow into it and that it will make me a better welder.

Fun4Now - That is a nice diagram! I wish the Speedway torch had a similar drawing, but they probably figured it was "obvious to the most casual observer". They did however include a whole sheet, front and back, of warnings like "The Arc Is Bright, Don't Stare Into It...", "Electricity Can Kill", "Don't put the torch in your nose and turn it on" and other stuff their legal department thought was relevant. That diagram confirms that having the coolant reach the torch first, and then return to the DINSE power connection, is the way to go. I hope to strike an arc this week.

congratts on a great new toy.
    be shore to post up some pic's of your work.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES