Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very true and I could have welded the tube square on the channel but I like a good fit up. My thoughts are a job worth doing is worth doing right which is why I spent around 2 hours getting my saw sorted out because it's worth doing right in the end.

Thanks for everyones input, getting the saw sorted was a much better solution than grinding the ends square.

You can weld a square cut tube crooked
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Fact is, if you're fabricating something (aside of butting together high pressure, with code welds, pipe), most cases it's actually easier to end up with square/precise angles, after welding, if the cut is slightly off. Start the tack, where it touches, then you have plenty of room to tap it whichever way, to compensate for the pull.

Cool

When i worked in the big factory and did a lot of tube and beam fitting to steel plates. I just took a combo sq and found the high corner on the tube or beam than i would tack a little booger with the mig on the low side and touch it with a hammer or a small grinder until all corners were the same. Then the part would sit flat on the plate. Sometimes the tubes or beams were ready cut at the steel place and they don't give a rats butt if they are square or not...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

One outfit I worked for we used to mill all our cuts. Even for simple frames, cut slightly over and mill to size. Measure our lengths with a dial caliper. Dead square and within thousandths for size.

Complete waste of time for most weldments. But it's just what you did there.

Sounds like you have the time and determination. If you want it square you can always use an "apprentice mill"....the largest flat file you have and a good try square.

Files are slow and forgiving. Leave a nice finish. Give you a personal interaction with the metal. Allows for philosophical reflection of life in general. Makes you appreciate the power tools made to replace it sometimes.

Al

I agree, its a rare day when being cut square matters all that much, weld it square.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    You can weld a square cut tube crooked
    Absolutely true!! Also, you can squarely weld a crookedly cut tube !!!

Griff

Wow! Five people beat me on this reply!!
    Griff
    Last edited by griff01; 01-21-2010 at 06:19 PM.