Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Squaring the end on tubing?

Hi All,

I'm making a gantry crane and the legs sit square on top of some channel. I was just wondering if anybody had some tricks for squaring the end of the tube. If it matters, the tube is 3"x3"x3/16"

Thanks for any tricks you guys might have.

Craig

I'd just use a speed square and drew a line all the way around, then cut.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

turbo38t Guest

I just use my coldcut saw. I built a rest for when I make cuts and the rest is pretty exact. My cuts on4" 3/16" tube always come out to +- .020

I actually cut the pieces on my bandsaw but it's not very accurate, which is probably due to user error. Using a square and grinding each side until it's all square is probably how I'm going to do it. Would love to have a cold saw, .020" is amazing. I just wasn't sure if there was an easier way instead of grinding them.

Thanks for the input, gotta work on getting one of those cold saws .

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5120_200365120
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762
    I found one of these cheap, 100 bucks.
    Little work to adjust and it cuts square.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

On the bandsaw I can see several possible causes for not getting square cuts.

Number one would be a misadjusted fence. Or you have a ton of crud on the bed /fence. those chips can effect how square the saw cuts. I always make it a point to brush off the bed it I have to make a critical cut.

Number 2 would be unsupported work, both on the infeed and out feed sides if it's long. Often the change weight as the piece starts to drop will cause it to shift in the saw and cause an unsquare cut. Be sure that you have the piece well supported and level with the machine surface on the infeed side and leave just a small bit of room on the waste side so the blade doesn't bind.

Number 3 is a bad blade. It's possible that the set on the teeth on one side has been lost and the blade will wander away from that side of the cut towards the good side that is cutting easier. If your blade is old or if you know that you possibly damaged the blade when it bound up or cut very hard material, try a new blade. I know it takes a bit of trial and error to set up my saw again after I change the angle.

you can just us you saw and cut one side at a time. less grinding.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

In any case, a slightly off-square cut, is not an excuse, for an off-square fitting and weld.

Welding a crooked tube is one thing. Welding a tube crooked is another.

Quote Originally Posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
    Welding a crooked tube is one thing. Welding a tube crooked is another.
    True statement.