Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    The X-bracing material doesn’t have to be anything substantial. Being as the A-frame is C-channel maybe go with some 1 1/2 inch C-channel, or angle, whatever you desire.

Remember that 14,000 lb. trailer in the link was designed or at least approved by an engineer! You are upping the annie with your trailer. You may not need the X-bracing, it was just a suggestion.

I think this is what FusionKing was commenting on, if so I agree 150%!
    If not this is what I would do, don’t know why I missed it this morning.
    Really dont need an X brace, here is the 40'6/ 33' deck trailer I built about 1.5 years ago, cant see the size, but the gussets I used were 2'x2'x1/4" thick triangles, I think something similar would help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey-D View Post
    I have a ton of 1/8" plate I cut off this trailer but that would probably be too thin for those gussets.
    Waay too flimsy IMHO, 1/4" is a decent size

Does anyone know if you need a CDL for a tri axles trailer rated at 10500lb? My buddy said so. I haven't call the modot yet. The trailer is sitting right now as I get some money together for the new steel.
    No, unless your truck is especially large, more than 26,000lbs gcw is the limit. Basically, my trailer is a 14k, truck is 9200, puts me @ 23,200 gcw. If you have a newer dually, most will put you into CDL-A class with their 12,500/13,000 gvwr...

Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

you don't need a CDL till 26.000 but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law) and i bet you insurance company never told you. my ins company didn't know till i told them. and if your wondering no health card your license is invalided.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Quote Originally Posted by vin-man welding View Post
    but you need a health card or dot card for any thing over 10,000 like your truck with no trailer. (fed law)
    Isn't that for professionals drivers only?
    http://www.querycat.com/question/cda...0844dc0c3b97f2

Default CDL Requirements

CFR 49 Part 391 will answer your DOT Phys Exam Cert questions.

Class A, B, & C requirements and compliance and endorsements

Exemptions for Agri, Recreational, Military

For Hire regulations regarding Intrastate and/or Interstate USDOT registration for vehilces and operating authority

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations

USDOT.gov

I see AZ DPS pull over these "dually" Dodge trucks hauling multiple vehilces on goosenecks all the time.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

That would be even better at 20%.

I was looking around on good ol craigslist and found some steals on steel.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/1026884935.html
    So I was thinking 6" channel with 3" angle crossmembers. A stick of 5" at the yard was $112 for a 20fter. 6" from this guy was $60 before haggling. By the way if you ever need a quick steel quote use this website
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml?aident=
    Shipping is crazy but I have ordered small quantities from them before.
    Shipping is usually the b! when trying to order metals online. I bought some stainles steel sheet metal and angle from these guys some weeks past, http://www.commercemetals.com/, and shipping was somewhere around $18 for the whole lot. Got a 30"x30" chunk of 2b and a 48" piece of 2"x2"x3/16" angle.