Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Day three. I cut the rest of the stuff off and started grinding the slag from plasma cutting the expanded steel off. Welded back in the cross supports I had taken out to remove the floor.

After doing the math for the axle locations, I realized I need to move them back if I add the dovetail. Which would be a lot of work. But then my buddy realized if I make the trailer 19'8" long I can leave the two axles where they are and add a third. I was gonna make the trailer 18' over all, why not add another foot and a half. If I add a third axle it now makes it a 10500 lb trailer. I don't think I need a three axle lowboy, but why not go big or go home. If I run 6" channel and plenty of crossmember I should be more than strong enough. Then I never have to worry about hauling the cummins. But do I need to beef up the gooseneck for the 10K load?
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    25' Hydraulic Tilt Lowboy Gooseneck
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Millermatic 251 with 30A spoolgun
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Just realize with three axles you cut your turning radius, not so much as cut the radius but puts a lot of wear on the front axle tires when making sharp turns.

as Sonora Iron wrote 60-40% thats a good start.
    now as for the question if trailer GVW. i don't want to get in to the legal stuff. but the trailer counts as part of the GVW so look at it this way 7100 lbs truck 2200 lbs =9300 lbs. i pull my 10,000 lbs GVW trailer with my 8400 lbs skidsteer. and i wish i got a bigger trailer. it's ok around town but the trailer tires and axles really don't like the weight.
    and nice truck i have a white 01 chevy 3500 x-cab dually.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

i got to type faster .lol
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Just an idea for more strength. Less weight, more strength.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, are you gonna straighten the frame right behind the axle on the right side?
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by Joey-D View Post
    Day three. I cut the rest of the stuff off and started grinding the slag from plasma cutting the expanded steel off. Welded back in the cross supports I had taken out to remove the floor.

After doing the math for the axle locations, I realized I need to move them back if I add the dovetail. Which would be a lot of work. But then my buddy realized if I make the trailer 19'8" long I can leave the two axles where they are and add a third. I was gonna make the trailer 18' over all, why not add another foot and a half. If I add a third axle it now makes it a 10500 lb trailer. I don't think I need a three axle lowboy, but why not go big or go home. If I run 6" channel and plenty of crossmember I should be more than strong enough. Then I never have to worry about hauling the cummins. But do I need to beef up the gooseneck for the 10K load?
    if your going to do all that how about going deckover ?? then you can push it out to 102 inchs.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Red will be channel, Green will be probably angle, channel, or tube crossmembers and white will be the third axle. I don't want a deck over because I want the low deck height for loading low clearance cars. I will have a dovetail, but still I need it low. Also I will have removable fenders if I ever have to load something wider than 82" inches. Do you think I need to strengthen the gooseneck? I like the truss idea, but don't want the height.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Also, are you gonna straighten the frame right behind the axle on the right side?
    When I put the channel on there I will heat up and straighten the angle and weld it to the channel.
    2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins
    1997 Corvette 6 Speed
    Harley Hardtail Bobber
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Cut40 Plasma Cutter