Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What kind of bolt?

Im going to be putting a bunch of small bolts/screws into the bottom of a semi trailer. They will be exposed to all kinds of weather and road spray. Once in, most will stay there but the ones along the outside rail may need to be removed for occasional maintenance. What can I screw into steel and still be able to remove a year or so later? Stainless, brass, something not yet invented?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

More info, are we going into a blind hole? Self-tapping bolts? Are you going to have access to the other side, maybe use nuts???

Generally, I try to stay away from SS, they tend to gall, and when you try to force them out, they break. More of a PITA to deal with afterwards. They won't cut with a torch, hard to drill, and if they're galled, not backing out no matter what you do.

If only a year between in and out, just stick with regular carbon steel bolts, use never-seize,,,, even if they break off, drill, heat, extract ,,,, worse comes to worse, you can just torch them off, drill new holes, tap and install new bolts an inch over from the old ones. Can't do that with stainless. Plus the cost .....

Of course if you can get to the other side, and use nuts, don't really matter either way .....

Screw or pop rivets. A grinder and a pin punch and they're out. Still depends on the backing headroom.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

No access to the back side. Ill be drilling and tapping the I beam crossmembers that support the wood floor above.(Imagine a 2X4 stud wall that is open on one side now but will be sheet rocked.) I wont be using a torch on anything because Im attaching light weight plastic sheets. I think pop rivets would crush the plastic material. Does anyone make a plastic bolt?

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    No access to the back side. Ill be drilling and tapping the I beam crossmembers that support the wood floor above.(Imagine a 2X4 stud wall that is open on one side now but will be sheet rocked.) I wont be using a torch on anything because Im attaching light weight plastic sheets. I think pop rivets would crush the plastic material. Does anyone make a plastic bolt?
    http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/

Thats a great place to start looking. Thanks!

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Stainless, with "never seize".
    I use this http://www.lub-o-seal.com/products/datasheets/PD-CP.pdf
    Here is a the site http://www.lub-o-seal.com/products/m...tml#antiseizes
    Been using it for years and never had a problem getting stuff loose.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Ive decided to make a template so I can drill the holes in the same place on each crossmember. Im then going to tap the holes and screw the bolts in from the top with Loctite. Ill then hold the sheets in place with nylon fasteners from the bottom. Then if things get stuck a quick whack with a chisel will have the nut off.

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Flyingpig; 02-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Default Stainless galling

In the marine enviourment,probably one of the worst were almost all of the galling problems I've run across have been stainless to stainless.Stainless into something different, mild steel,silicon bronze has been very rare. Use the never seize too, If not available white axle grease , no metal ingredients.

i would go with galv.
    ****, any problems just buy a scarfing tip.