Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what size channel for neck on gooseneck trailer?

what size channel should i use for the hitch neck for a 7000lb 18' trailer? i got a 18' bumperpull that i want to convert to a gooseneck and need to know what size channel to use i was thinkin 6" #8 for it and have the gussets all made out of the 6" also for the bracing at the 90's
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

A single 6 inch x 8.2# channel in an 8 feet span is good for 2,460 lbs.

Cool

Why not 6" I beam? or 2 6" channels back to back...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

is the frame of the trailer made out of the same channel? the last one i did had an I beam frame so i just extended it out and used the same material.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

I was in the same boat as you until last weekend. I was going to cut off the tongue of my 18 Car hauler and weld a gooseneck on. Instead I traded straight across for this monstacity. I cut the dovetail off my old trailer before trading it for this one. I plan on cutting all the bull**** off this thing to make it a dovetail car hauler. I couldn't pass up the deal. It had two 3500lb axles, both with brakes, actual trailer tires, break-a-way system, 82" between fenders and 16' deck, (plus 2' more for my dovetail). Anyhow this trailer has 6" channel for the neck. I you need any pictures or measurements off this thing just let me know. I am not saying this thing is built right, I am just saying it is built. I will include all the pictures here. Also I had been saving pictures of others coverting their car haulers to gooseneck. I will post those too. Hope this helps. P.S. I would check around to trading because that steel is gonna be expensive. My guy no longer had a truck so no gooseneck hitch. Also check out this trailer. My dream.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110284112581

Depends on the axle location, and how much you want to cross-brace and gusset the gooseneck. Kind of an open-ended question,,,,, pics and a drawing of what your plan is, would help.

There were 36 pictures of conversions. Here is a link to them. Too many to post. They are still uploading to photobucket so this link may not work right away....
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...%20Coversions/

A lot of manufactures use I-beam frame with C-channel bulkhead and neck. PJ, Big Tex, Corn Pro just to name a few.

Most goosenecks Ive seen the neck is 5 feet long with a 30 down turn with an additional 3 feet to the coupler, for a total of 8 feet.