Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lock box

Default lock box

I had my lincoln wirematic 255 stolen out of my shed and it was chained to the tractor. These days bolt cutters sell for cheap money and cut the best chains. Has anyone built a strong box to keep there expensive items in out in the shed? ANY GOOD PICTURRES???
    Around here my thies seems to gravel with pry bar and bolt cutter.

I have since replaced that lincoln with a newer 2005 millermatic 251.

Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
    I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.

How hard is it to run an air hose out there?

If you had an impact wrench that was easy enough to access out in the shed, you could make a strong box that had a hinge on one side of the door, and 30 or so bolts holding the other end and center.

The lock wouldn't even be needed - they'd be too tired to haul the stuff off after cranking the wrench (and it would buy you time to hopefully catch them in the act).

Just make sure to keep the socket somewhere safe and use a large size like 1-1/8" or a goofy 12 point internal socket head. Even the larger 1/2" or so torxs head bolts would baffle guys trying to get them loose.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
    I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.
    Now, pray-tell, where is the "common-folk" citizen suppose to get one of those, steal one? I'll do a "google search" for "Where to buy Municipal Traffic Lock Boxes."
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
    Good and bad advice, the silent alarm to the pager, good.
    The BFH, bad, shotgun from the window and have the cops on the line, better.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

put the lock in a 'tube' with a 110 connabear coon trap on the other end. put their arm in there and...SNAP. just remember to put a stick in there before you put your hand in there lol. then put a bunch of bear traps around the box.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

call michael vick and rent one of his dogs....

dead dogs don't bite. lol
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    Where does one find these? I was looking for something like this myself but no such luck.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES