Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: lock box

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    13

    Default lock box

    I had my lincoln wirematic 255 stolen out of my shed and it was chained to the tractor. These days bolt cutters sell for cheap money and cut the best chains. Has anyone built a strong box to keep there expensive items in out in the shed? ANY GOOD PICTURRES???
    Around here my thies seems to gravel with pry bar and bolt cutter.

    I have since replaced that lincoln with a newer 2005 millermatic 251.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

    Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

    1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

    2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

    Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

    On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

    Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
    I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    How hard is it to run an air hose out there?

    If you had an impact wrench that was easy enough to access out in the shed, you could make a strong box that had a hinge on one side of the door, and 30 or so bolts holding the other end and center.

    The lock wouldn't even be needed - they'd be too tired to haul the stuff off after cranking the wrench (and it would buy you time to hopefully catch them in the act).

    Just make sure to keep the socket somewhere safe and use a large size like 1-1/8" or a goofy 12 point internal socket head. Even the larger 1/2" or so torxs head bolts would baffle guys trying to get them loose.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

    Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,949

    Default Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the theft. With any luck the jerk-offs will drop the welder on themselves and leave a lasting wound as a memento of the theft.

    Not sure if this will help, in the line of work that I do I am around a couple different types of boxes.

    1. being the stainless boxes we all see at intersections that houses the controllers for the traffic lights. These are very secure cabinets and can be easily bolted to the floor.

    2. being all the green telephone boxes on every corner. These are not quite as good as the SS but still very tough to get into. I have one at work that we keep tools in. I dont have any pics right now but if I can remember I will take a few tomorrow morning.

    Now the SS traffic box is tall and skinny most of the time, as it may fit your hand tools its probably not enough for the 251.

    On the other hand the telephone box would most likely fit the welder. The bottle may be a hangup tho.

    Both of these boxes use a secure type latch that takes a security wrench or a recessed allen with a hole in the center and also room for a lock. Maybe you could use this type of latching mechanism to assist in slowing down the jerks.
    I think no matter what you do other then offering lead poisoning will stop them, but you may make it tough enough to discourage them.
    Now, pray-tell, where is the "common-folk" citizen suppose to get one of those, steal one? I'll do a "google search" for "Where to buy Municipal Traffic Lock Boxes."
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    233

    Default

    the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    CDB Land, TN
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
    Good and bad advice, the silent alarm to the pager, good.
    The BFH, bad, shotgun from the window and have the cops on the line, better.
    Be safe
    Jeff

    Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohiowa, NE
    Posts
    265

    Default

    put the lock in a 'tube' with a 110 connabear coon trap on the other end. put their arm in there and...SNAP. just remember to put a stick in there before you put your hand in there lol. then put a bunch of bear traps around the box.

    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridesideways View Post
    the best way is a silent alarm that pages your cell phone with a text msg. you put a cheap lock on the shed and it trips the silent alarm page if not opened properly. then you put a difficult and time-consuming lock on the inside so it takes them a good 15 minutes to access the goodies. meanwhile you're on your way to visit the thieves with a BFH because you got the text message.
    Where does one find these? I was looking for something like this myself but no such luck.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WY...armpit of U.S.A.
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Just the first one I came across on a quick search. Looks like you will need a phone jack in the garage...easy enough with a Radio Shack or other telephone cord connection kit. Also, it would be a good idea to place your phone disconnect inside either the garage or house as well.

    http://www.makophone.com/moacalwiaudi.html
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Now, pray-tell, where is the "common-folk" citizen suppose to get one of those, steal one? I'll do a "google search" for "Where to buy Municipal Traffic Lock Boxes."
    Sorry Davedarragh

    Bad of me not to be specific. The ones that I have used came from the scrap steel bin with permission of course. I have a buddy that used one of the traffic signal boxes and if memory serves me correct it came from the DOT lot where they store supplies. He stopped by and ask someone in the yard if that large pile was good stuff or scrap. The guy that he talked to even helped him load it up and he was on his way. I'm sure not everyone has luck like that but everyone has friends that have friends and word of mouth is the best way to find something.

    BTW sorry to stray off topic but just wanted to clarify the fact that I wasnt suggesting something that could not possibly be found and used.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.