Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Enlpck,

You are correct, I asked the other person at the other message board to come to our miller site to see what some here would say.

Unfortunately I could not convince the other person that adding to the flanges verses the webb was a much more common way to reinforce a beam or barjoist and to get the most strength for the amount of steel used.

Sanora thanks for your illustrations, Thats how I have been doing it for the last 20 years.

Enlpck,
    You are also correct about hireing an engineer.
    I have always done this off engineered sealed drawings.

Even when I told the member on the other site that I have been doing so with different engineers over the last 20 years he suggested that my engineers were wrong.

Hopefully when this other member, Which is also a senior member on this site as well will realize that maybe he was incorrect.

There is also things such as transfering loads to panel points on bar joists that we had discussed.

Incertain cases I have also had to run additional diagnal bars into the bar joist after adding to the top & bottom chords.

Whenever pulling a load off a joist its important to grab from a panel point and if you cant I add an angle from the opposite panel point down or up to where the load is being applied to.

Vin man, Take a look at Sanoras illustrations, All of those ways are how I have always did the reinforcement on joists and beams.

If the strength was more about the webb verses the flanges a bar joist would never work.

When ever you look at truck frames you will typically see holes in the webb and hardly ever in a flange except under certain situations.
    Its also important to always use round or oval holes in beams or truck frames.
    Square holes are very suseptable to tearing in the corners.

Thanks for the input from all.

I was also hoping to hear Body baggers formula and calculations.
    Last edited by Portable Welder; 02-25-2009 at 10:24 AM.