Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 10 of 31

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Milan Michigan

    Default Beam or Bar joist reinforcement.

    I was at another site the other day and we had a discussion as to how to reinforce a beam, Barjoist or a tube that is laying in the horizontal position being used as a beam.

    The load being a verticle load pushing straight down from the top or being pulled straight down from the bottom.

    Wheather the load is a point load or a uniform load.

    My question is on an I shape or box shape what is the best way to reinforce this member.

    On a beam is it stronger to add steel to the top and bottom flange or is it stronger to add a plate of steel to the webb part of the beam.

    Or if the member was a box tube, is it stronger to plate the top and bottom flange or to plate the sides of the tube calling that part the webb.
    Last edited by Portable Welder; 02-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/ on line 71

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.