Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 7018 vs. 7018-1?

Can anyone explain the difference between the "normal" 7018 I've been using (Atom Arc 7018-H4R, Lincoln Excalibur 7018 MR) and 7018-1? Is the 7018-1 supposed to be easier to run off position?

I tried a few sticks of 7018-1 at school and it ran terrible. (I think it was McKay brand). I'm not sure whether it was because it was stale rod, operator error, or there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks, Matt

Smile

mr 57 i cant help you with your question, but was wondering what made you come up with < mr 57> for your name on this forum. three years ago i bought a 57 chev wagon, thats where 57belair came from. its a project car.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between the "normal" 7018 I've been using (Atom Arc 7018-H4R, Lincoln Excalibur 7018 MR) and 7018-1? Is the 7018-1 supposed to be easier to run off position?

I tried a few sticks of 7018-1 at school and it ran terrible. (I think it was McKay brand). I'm not sure whether it was because it was stale rod, operator error, or there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks, Matt
    The (-1) = low temp impact
    H4 or H8 is Hydrogen content (4ml/100g)
    R= meets moisture test.

See AWS A5.0

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    The (-1) = low temp impact
    H4 or H8 is Hydrogen content (4ml/100g)
    R= meets moisture test.

See AWS A5.0
    Hey that's interesting, thanks for posting that up. That explains why almost all the 7018 here is -1, a person pretty much has to go out of their way to find non -1 7018.

FatFab - Thanks, I'll look it up the AWS ref. and see if I can decipher it. The H4R designation I knew, but I still don't know what "low temp impact" is supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Belair View Post
    mr 57 i cant help you with your question, but was wondering what made you come up with < mr 57> for your name on this forum. three years ago i bought a 57 chev wagon, thats where 57belair came from. its a project car.
    MR is my initials, 57 is a street address. Short and easy to remember.
    I had a '56 1/2 ton truck for a little while, but that's the closest I've come to owning a tri-5 Chebby. Prices have just gotten too crazy in the last 10 years. Barrett Jackson maybe to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    FatFab - Thanks, I'll look it up the AWS ref. and see if I can decipher it. The H4R designation I knew, but I still don't know what "low temp impact" is supposed to mean.
    it has to do with the ductility of the weldment when very cold (though I don't know the spec. temp).
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

From looking at Lincoln's data:
    7018 Charpy V-notch is done at -20F
    7018-1 Charpy V-notch is done at -50F (brrr! that's cold!)