Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bert's Mig Pic

M-tech:
    "where he's trying to get a bunch of us to feel sorry for him and go down there and help him get it finished so he can get back to melting metal."

Dabar39:
    Bert, From what I can see your bead looks just fine, maybe a little biased towards the bottom piece of steel, but that could just be the picture angle.
    P.S. Either your Dad needs a smaller house or you need a bigger paint brush, you've been painting it for how long now? two, three weeks or so?!!

OOHHHH.....!!! It's about TIME you guys FINALLY get the hint!!! If M-tech hadn't said anything, I'd be there a few more months!!!!!!! Grab a roller and let's get going boys!!!!! Actually, I don't have a shop like yours, so I have to drag everything out of the storeroom, put up the canvas screens, placate mom and dad to talk to them, yadda yadda yadda. I'm actually painting only 4 hours. Clorax the walls and 2 coats of paint. (small sections at a time).
    The other day of the weekend is doing all my errands and taking my daughter to the beach
    Danny:The weld bead location looks like its favoring the lower plate. Try either dropping your gun angle a little, or maybe you're off center a little bit on the weld joint.

Also, on this thickness I'd be running higher machine settings. You have 5+ more volts available to play with. 23.5 volts is barely beyond the short arc range.

Danny, thanks a lot, I'll try to up it a bit. I've got more time today
    What am I trying to achieve? "Smoother" look? I'll post the new one tonight.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Actually, I don't have a shop like yours, so I have to drag everything out of the storeroom, put up the canvas screens, placate mom and dad to talk to them, yadda yadda yadda. I'm actually painting only 4 hours.
    LOL. Yeah, that's what happens whenever me and my brother go over to my mom's. First, we gotta chat with mom for a couple hours because she's been home all day by herself. Then we spend 3-4 clearing away the brush behind her house and hauling it to the dump.

But then we go "treasure hunting" in my dad's old workshop. That's how I "inherited" my dad's gas cylinders. My mom wanted us to haul them away to gaspro for dumping. Swapped them out at gaspro and took em home. Found his lampwork torch setup (oxypropane for glass jewelry making) but finally gave up trying to find his OA torch kit and bought my own.

Having to take your daughter to the beach? ooooo, sounds like tough duty

Default Dabar and others!

....First, we gotta chat with mom for a couple hours because she's been home all day by herself. Then we spend 3-4 clearing away the brush behind her house and hauling it to the dump....
    Thanks JonnyMag!!! Someone that understands me!!!
    re: daughter at beach...tough duty? yeah, but SOMEONE has to do it!!!
    I'm not late...

Default Welding curtain

Hey Bert,

My brother and I were sanding the roof of my dad's old steel shed for re-roofing this afternoon. Decided to buy a portable scaffold from City Mill (see attached). My brother's thinking of going back to get another one.

Anyway, when we covered it with a drop cloth, guess what? It kinda looked like a portable welding curtain. Well, maybe with some heavier grade canvas.

About 4' high x 4' wide x 2' deep. 2 heavy duty steel planks to stand on. 4 rungs. Locking wheels. Max load 500lbs. AND folded flat so it fit in the trunk of my Camry.

With the planks on the 2nd rung from the top, it's worktable height. With the planks on the bottom rung, you can use it as a push cart.

Since you're always lugging your welder around and setting up curtains, figured you might wanna check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very cool and thanks for thinking of me! Problem, is it would NEVER fit in the small storeroom that I have!!! Barely fits everything in there now! I wanted to build a cart that I saw last week on this forum, but then realized that the footprint is much bigger than my MM251 cart, and I don't have the height!
    bert
    I'm not late...

It folds flat -- box it came in was maybe 5-6" deep.

but then that would be one MORE thing to tear down and put away!!!
    I could see it as a portable welding area (which is very cool) but I can't leave anything out in the garage. Gotta put everything back in the storeroom at the end of the day...
    I'm not late...

Phax, Danny and Dabar,
    I tried it again with 38.5volts and 500 wire speed. The toes came out smoother without the small ripples. Then I was wondering if this is really spray transfer, since I'm using 75/25 mix, and not 100% argon
    Please tell me what you think!!! (tried to be more even on both plates)
    2nd pic is of my daughter at the beach this evening
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not late...

Sorry, misses it even on the preview.
    Settings were 28.5 volts, and still moving left to right in small circles...
    I think it looks smoother, but boy what a undercut at the end!!
    I'm not late...

Thumbs up

yea i can see how taking her to the beach could be a real chore.
    at first i was thinking a car full of giggling, blabbing girls could be tuf to handle. but after looking at the pic, i think it would be a nice way to wind down. wish i had a beach near by to go to. i bet my kid's would have a blast at the beach. maybe next year i'll pack them up for a trip to the beach, its only a 6Hr drive. i suppose i could leave at 3AM and let every one sleep on the way. a sun burn on a kid that has to spend the next 6Hrs in a car seat would be murder though, better keep re-applying the the sun blocker.
    nice looking welds, just keeps me wanting that MM212 all the more every time i see one like that.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES