Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bert's Mig Pic

Default Bert's Mig Pic

Had less time than I wanted to after helping out a friend on his car and painting a little of dad's house. Couldn't find any thinner metal, so I had to use this 1/2" stuff.
    Volts: 23.5
    Wire Speed: 475
    Gas: 75/25
    ok, let the comments fly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

purdy, what's it for?
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

Default mig'ing in circles

Sorry, forgot to say I move the cup in small circles like LittleFuzz does. When I had done some 1/8" stuff, you could see circles. I prefer more this way, back of the 1/2" plate was nicely colored where I could see penetration was really good...
    I'm not late...

Default littlefuzz

told some guys I would show them my mig bead. This looks more like spray, thinner stuff I did had more of a circular pattern like yours, but I ran out of the thinner material I had... Need to find more this week!
    I'm not late...

seems like some customers like the spray look, some like the circle look. Like to practice and get both down and make the customer happy!
    I'm not late...

it looks alright, but if you were looking for critisim it looks lobsided
    mm210
    maxstar 150

lopsided? I can deal with that!!! Any more comments, suggestions, snide remarks???
    I'm not late...

The weld bead location looks like its favoring the lower plate. Try either dropping your gun angle a little, or maybe you're off center a little bit on the weld joint.

Also, on this thickness I'd be running higher machine settings. You have 5+ more volts available to play with. 23.5 volts is barely beyond the short arc range.

Bert, From what I can see your bead looks just fine, maybe a little biased towards the bottom piece of steel, but that could just be the picture angle.
    Dave

P.S. Either your Dad needs a smaller house or you need a bigger paint brush, you've been painting it for how long now? two, three weeks or so:
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    Bert, From what I can see your bead looks just fine, maybe a little biased towards the bottom piece of steel, but that could just be the picture angle.
    Dave

P.S. Either your Dad needs a smaller house or you need a bigger paint brush, you've been painting it for how long now? two, three weeks or so:
    My "P.S." exactly! His dad has to have the biggest house on the Islands! Unless it's one of those Huck Finn things, where he's trying to get a bunch of us to feel sorry for him and go down there and help him get it finished so he can get back to melting metal.

Joe
    Last edited by M-Tech; 08-12-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Couldn't get grin .gif into message.