Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation possible blade project

been thinking about building a blade that moves up&dowm to put on my lawn mower , it will be on where the bumper is , to make new 4-wheeler ,lawnmower trails, any thoughts or ideas would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inferno Forge

Chris

Hmmmmmm..... I have to admit you have a novel idea. I've run a lot of equipment and have serious doubts as to the ability of a lawn mower to push much with a front mounted blade. I suppose it could bend over weeds and light brush but don't expect to do much dirt or rock moving.
    Jim

while all it will be moving is weeds , small brush

Inferno Forge

Chris

They used to sell front blades for the "old" type riding tractors. THey were much heavier than todays riding mowers but still did not push dirt or gravel to well. Might work better if you could pull something instead of push it
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

i thought of the same thing when i got all this dirt for a new driveway/parking spot. i want to be able to get into my big shop without slipping all over wet grass. not to mention sinking into the mud.
    but like the other said i don't think it will push much, and not to shore how well it would do pulling aether. just dose not have the wait or traction needed to really get the job done.
    but if you come up with a good idea/plan let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Don't most "lawnmowers" have a mower deck?

Not enough weight/traction to push/pull much more than you could move with a D-handle shovel.

John Deere used to (maybe still do) offered a blade/weights kit for their larger lawn tractors. Friend of mine had one. USELESS.

Actually have messed around with both. [Father owns a lawn/garden equipment business 30+yrs] Tried push blades on sevearl models and the small grader blade with wheel weights and blade weights worked the best. Still no comparison to the Bobcat or the 40hp 4x4 Kubota we have but would move a small amount of loose gravel or dirt. THe old John Deeres and cub cadets were the best. they were the heaviest and you would be surprised how much a 12 hp Kolher would pull, that is if you have enough traction. So in short, nothing beats a tractor/grader/dozer, but for someone to mess around with something and all you have is the riding tractor, go for it.
    And all mower decks come off, the old ones actually had quick attach so they would come off easy so you could use other attachments, Something for a kid to have fun with at any rate
    Last edited by HMW; 08-12-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling......lol
    Scott

For what you want it to do, I don't think you'd be happy with the results from any machine that weighs less than about 7,000 pounds.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

7000lb tractor , that would clear it None of the older tractors Ford 8n, 9n, jubilee, or massey ferguson, 35s or IH b, c, h, or Ms weighed that much....LOL, shoot ,even your pickup doesn't weigh that much. I think you should scrap the plans for a small blade on the riding mower and go out and buy a 50-70 Hp tractor to get that much weight. The 40 hp Kubota we have weighs a little over 5000lbs with the loader on it and its not small. Pulls a 6' bush hog or 2 bottom 16s plows.

Just my thoughts on the weight issue, good luck with your project

By the way I made an old scrap blade, for a riding tractor, a Ford 120 to be excact, about 30 yrs ago, made it from an old cutting edge off a big blade, was only about 6" tall by about 36" wide, and had fun playing with it. No comparison to the Kubota or Bobcat, but still fun and lets you learn to make stuff. Unless I'm mistaken, I took it He's not clearing land for a living, only making 4 wheeler trails through the woods. small brush, leaves etc
    Last edited by HMW; 08-12-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    Scott

i have a 22HP or 23HP in my mower but still think i would have better luck in the long run just renting a little bobcat for the day if i can come up with the $$ but a blade would work for a little snow removal.
    now if i get a hold of this JD "mule" i think its called, a 6 wheeler i might have better luck pushing with it if i fill the bed with dirt for wait.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES